The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL_UpdateTexture vs Locking
Alvin Beach

Hello,

I am not new to SDL (2D software rendering part), but I am new to SDL2. I was wondering what is the proper way to update a streaming texture?

I have been experimenting with using SDL_UpdateTexture and with SDL_LockTexture(). From my highly non-scientific benchmarking, it seems that
SDL_UpdateTexture() is slightly faster than using SDL_LockTexture().

My experimentation consists of using a loop to get a frame from ffmpeg (ignoring timestamps) and rendering/blitting that frame
to the current window/texture. I have a single texture that uses SDL_TEXTUREACCESS_STREAMING. The pixel format for both the texture and the
frame that I get from ffmpeg is RGB24.

Using SDL_UpdateTexture() I do something along the lines of (in a loop):

const unsigned char *frame_data = function_that_gets_frame_using_ffmpeg();

SDL_UpdateTexture(texture, NULL, frame_data, pitch);

Where 'texture' is a single, streaming texture for the single renderer and window. Pitch is known as well.

My other experiment was to use SDL_LockTexture(), again in a loop (omitting error checking):

const unsigned char *frame_data = function_that_gets_frame_using_ffmpeg();

byte_t *texture_data = NULL;
int texture_pitch = 0;

SDL_LockTexture(texture, 0, (void**)&texture_data, &texture_pitch));

memcpy(texture_data, frame_data, w*h*Bpp);

SDL_UnlockTexture(texture);

Where, w, h and Bpp are known.

The reason I ask is that the docs for SDL_UpdateTexture() state the function is fairly slow. Could that be relative and not be noticeable
in my trivial experiments?

If it matters, I am planning on trying the same experiments on my Android (4.0) tablet. I have a working Android project thanks to the excellent
documentation in README.android.

Any advice, insights or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

Alvin

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org
Gabriele Greco

Quote:

I have been experimenting with using SDL_UpdateTexture and with SDL_LockTexture(). From my highly non-scientific benchmarking, it seems that
SDL_UpdateTexture() is slightly faster than using SDL_LockTexture().

Well I have a more complex program that uploads 25 times per second 24 h.264 video streams on 24 different textures that are blitted to a single (fullscreen) window, and I found results similar to yours.

Using SDL_UpdateTexture over SDL_Lock/UnlockTexture uses 5% less CPU time.

The advantage of SDL_UpdateTexture over SDL_LockTexture() is logical because when you unlock the texture you have to copy the "shadow" buffer data to the texture doing something very similar to what SDL_UpdateTexture does... so you save a copy operation for every frame you process.

If you your image is contained in a single memory area SDL_UpdateTexture is better than SDL_Lock/UnlockTexture(), and this is also true now for YV12 textures (where usually you have three different planes) since  with SDL 2.0.1  SDL_UpdateYUVTexture you can pass those different pointers straight to the underlying hardware. 

Quote:
My experimentation consists of using a loop to get a frame from ffmpeg (ignoring timestamps) and rendering/blitting that frame
to the current window/texture. I have a single texture that uses SDL_TEXTUREACCESS_STREAMING. The pixel format for both the texture and the
frame that I get from ffmpeg is RGB24.

I'm working with YV12 format (ffmpeg calls it PIX_FMT_YUV420P, SDL calls it  SDL_PIXELFORMAT_YV12), this will help your performances since decoded mpeg1/2/4/x video is in YUV format, and to give you a RGB image ffmpeg must do a conversion that can be done in hardware by the GPU.

--
Bye,
 Gabry
Ryan C. Gordon

Quote:

I think the use-case for this was that "locking" a texture was useful
when you had to read back the pixels (since SDL would cache a copy in
RAM, you didn't have to read it back from the GPU), but at a minimum,
"streaming" was an unfortunate choice of words, since it implies
write-only semantics, which is the opposite of what SDL actually does
here. "Dynamic" might have been a better choice.

If you're keeping a copy in memory anyhow, and/or updating every pixel
for each upload, SDL_UpdateTexture() is the better choice. There may be
questions about performance of texture access types, however, and I
haven't measured these: even if you aren't using SDL_LockTexture(), the
texture object might change its performance characteristics (Mac OS X
puts them in shared memory with the GPU, Direct3D marks it as "dynamic"
usage, etc).

We should probably clean this up in SDL 2.1.

--ryan.

Alvin Beach

Thank you Gabriele and Ryan. I will stick with using SDL_UpdateTexture() for now. Currently, my requirements are for write-only access
at this point.

BTW, the documentation in the wiki (e.g. API, Migrating from 1.2, etc.) are excellent! The various examples in test/ have been extremely
helpful as well.

Cheers,

Alvin

On 11/11/13 12:33, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I think the use-case for this was that "locking" a texture was useful when you had to read back the pixels (since SDL would cache a copy in RAM, you didn't have to read it back from the GPU), but at a minimum, "streaming" was an unfortunate choice of words, since it implies write-only semantics, which is the opposite of what SDL actually does here. "Dynamic" might have been a better choice.

If you're keeping a copy in memory anyhow, and/or updating every pixel for each upload, SDL_UpdateTexture() is the better choice. There may be questions about performance of texture access types, however, and I haven't measured these: even if you aren't using SDL_LockTexture(), the texture object might change its performance characteristics (Mac OS X puts them in shared memory with the GPU, Direct3D marks it as "dynamic" usage, etc).

We should probably clean this up in SDL 2.1.

--ryan.