The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL_GL_GetAttribute and 3.2+ Context
errissa

I noticed that when setting the OpenGL context to 3.2 or greater calls to SDL_GL_GetAttribute fail for the attributes that require glGetIntegerv to get their value including RED_SIZE, GREEN_SIZE, etc. GL_RED_BITS, and friends are not valid 'pname' parameters to glGetIntegerv in OpenGL 3.2 and greater so those calls in SDL_GL_GetAttribute cause an OpenGL error and GetAttribute fails.

Anyone know if there's a workaround for this other than the obvious of not setting MAJOR and MINOR_VERSION to 3.2 or greater?
Christopher Gautier

Hi,

Quote:
I noticed that when setting the OpenGL context to 3.2 or greater calls to
SDL_GL_GetAttribute fail for the attributes that require glGetIntegerv to get
their value including RED_SIZE, GREEN_SIZE, etc.

Interestingly, I had the same problem a few days ago. SDL_GL_GetAttribute()
is assuming it can always query the GL attributes, but as you said, this is
no longer valid in the latest version of OpenGL.

I worked around it by querying the GLX context instead (I can provide the code
if you are using Linux). That's obviously not cross-platform, but I believe
that it is the proper solution (so the equivalent code would be required for
WGL, AGL, etc.)

Cheers,
Chris

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org
Re: SDL_GL_GetAttribute and 3.2+ Context
errissa

Christopher Gautier wrote:

WGL, AGL, etc.)

Thanks. I am using Linux and I ended up doing the same thing. It would be nice to see if this fixed in SDL. If time permits, I'll take a stab at it...
Alex Szpakowski

Yeah, there's been a bugzilla issue filed for it: https://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2060

Basically you have to use this in core GL3.2+ contexts:
glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_BACK_LEFT, GL_FRAMEBUFFER_ATTACHMENT_RED_SIZE, &myredsize);

On 2013-09-20, at 2:03 PM, errissa wrote:
Quote:

Christopher Gautier wrote:

WGL, AGL, etc.)

Thanks. I am using Linux and I ended up doing the same thing. It would be nice to see if this fixed in SDL. If time permits, I'll take a stab at it...

trevor.shawn.williams

Being more specific for anyone who comes here after me looking for a workaround:

Algorithm:
//Include SDL_opengl.h - This file is not included with SDL.h.
//Load the OpenGL library via SDL_GL_LoadLibrary() passing NULL or nullptr as the argument if you just want to load the default.
//Use SDL_GL_SetAttribute() to set whatever attributes you like including the context profile and all.
//Feel free to use SDL_GL_GetAttribute to verify the values of any attributes you know aren't affected by the bug at this point.
//Create the SDL_Window with the SDL_WINDOW_OPENGL flag.
//Create the SDL_GLContext you want associated with the SDL_Window.
//Use SDL_GL_GetProcAddress("glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv") to retrieve the function named, and store it in a ptr2_function of type void (APIENTRY*)(GLenum, GLenum, GLenum, GLint*).
//Make sure the function was successfully retrieved.
// Verify the attribute values affected by the bug using the ptr2_function into which glGetFramebufferParameteriv() has been stored.

in fake C++11 code:

#include <SDL/SDL2/SDL_video.h>
#include <SDL/SDL2/SDL_opengl.h>

// Done implicitly after window creation, but I vaguely remember calls to set or get some opengl attributes failing if this isn't done first.
SDL_GL_LoadLibrary(nullptr);

SDL_GL_SetAttribute(...);
SDL_GL_GetAttribute(...);

SDL_Window *the_window = SDL_CreateWindow(..., SDL_WINDOW_OPENGL);
SDL_GLContext the_opengl_context = SDL_GL_CreateContext(the_window);

//APIENTRY, GLenum, and GLint will be unknown if you haven't included SDL_opengl.h. Again, it is not included with SDL.h
//Also using APIENTRY is mandatory to avoid screwing up your stack as mentioned in the SDL src.
using ptr2_opengl_function = void (APIENTRY*)(GLenum, GLenum, GLenum, GLint*);

//Casting before the assignment is necessary as stated in the SDL2-2.0.3 src. Don't omit it.
//See the remarks section on the SDL_GL_GetProcAddress SDL-wiki page for additional useful info.
ptr2_opengl_function ptr2_glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv = (ptr2_opengl_function)SDL_GL_GetProcAddress("glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv");

//Be sure you've successfully retrieved the function before trying to call it or you're screwed.
if(ptr2_glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv) {
// Check the parameters
}

Please excuse any typos. Just trying to give a quick overview.
Jonas Kulla

FYI: Just checking that "ptr2_glBlah != 0" is not sufficient. On GLX I can just GetProcAddress("glThisIsDog")

and get a non-null return value (I can even call into it).

The only correct way to ensure that an entry point is present is to check the extension list / GL version.

2015-02-25 10:04 GMT+01:00 trevor.shawn.williams:
Quote:
Being more specific for anyone who comes here after me looking for a workaround:

Algorithm:
//Include SDL_opengl.h - This file is not included with SDL.h.
//Load the OpenGL library via SDL_GL_LoadLibrary() passing NULL or nullptr as the argument if you just want to load the default.
//Use SDL_GL_SetAttribute() to set whatever attributes you like including the context profile and all.
//Feel free to use SDL_GL_GetAttribute to verify the values of any attributes you know aren't affected by the bug at this point.
//Create the SDL_Window with the SDL_WINDOW_OPENGL flag.
//Create the SDL_GLContext you want associated with the SDL_Window.
//Use SDL_GL_GetProcAddress("glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv") to retrieve the function named, and store it in a ptr2_function of type void (APIENTRY*)(GLenum, GLenum, GLenum, GLint*).
//Make sure the function was successfully retrieved.
// Verify the attribute values affected by the bug using the ptr2_function into which glGetFramebufferParameteriv() has been stored.

in fake C++11 code:

#include
#include

// Done implicitly after window creation, but I vaguely remember calls to set or get some opengl attributes failing if this isn't done first.
SDL_GL_LoadLibrary(nullptr);

SDL_GL_SetAttribute(...);
SDL_GL_GetAttribute(...);

SDL_Window *the_window = SDL_CreateWindow(..., SDL_WINDOW_OPENGL);
SDL_GLContext the_opengl_context = SDL_GL_CreateContext(the_window);

//APIENTRY, GLenum, and GLint will be unknown if you haven't included SDL_opengl.h. Again, it is not included with SDL.h
//Also using APIENTRY is mandatory to avoid screwing up your stack as mentioned in the SDL src.
using ptr2_opengl_function = void (APIENTRY*)(GLenum, GLenum, GLenum, GLint*);

//Casting before the assignment is necessary as stated in the SDL2-2.0.3 src. Don't omit it.
//See the remarks section on the SDL_GL_GetProcAddress SDL-wiki page for additional useful info.
ptr2_opengl_function ptr2_glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv = (ptr2_opengl_function)SDL_GL_GetProcAddress("glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv");

//Be sure you've successfully retrieved the function before trying to call it or you're screwed.
if(ptr2_glGetFramebufferAttachmentParameteriv) {
// Check the parameters
}

Please excuse any typos. Just trying to give a quick overview.

"You all look like lions to me. Lets be rabbits again."