The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
DirectX support
jaffar.sidek10

Hi all. I have made for myself a DirectX based framework incorporating both directX 2d and 3d support as well as XAudio2, XAudio and directSound. This personal framework is based entirely of the various classes i have made for a game i am working on. This personal framework is also built with windows 8 in mind, so I am hoping to, in some small way, contribute to windows 8 game development with the next generation of sdl. What I would like to do is to plug this framework into Sdl, then use Sdl as the interface to call these classes as and when i would need directX support for my game. My intention is to allow the user to either choose OpenGl or directX as their principle graphics renderer. My question really is, are there any sdl specific macros for me to use to plug my framework into sdl? Also, I would like to, if i may, add this framework or plugin to the sdl’s next major version, as i am not too sure of the work involved needed to achieve this task. And if there is specific developer documentation for this purpose, i’d appreciate it as well. Thanks and Cheers!
DirectX support
Giorgos Sarris

Hi there,

This is great news!
I hope this helps to develop a Metro (RT) version of SDL2 for both phone and windows 8.

Thanks,
Giorgos

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SDL] DirectX support
To:
Date: 24/10/2012 03:44

Quote:
Hi all. I have made for myself a DirectX based framework incorporating both directX 2d and 3d support as well as XAudio2, XAudio and directSound. This personal framework is based entirely of the various classes i have made for a game i am working on. This personal framework is also built with windows 8 in mind, so I am hoping to, in some small way, contribute to windows 8 game development with the next generation of sdl. What I would like to do is to plug this framework into Sdl, then use Sdl as the interface to call these classes as and when i would need directX support for my game. My intention is to allow the user to either choose OpenGl or directX as their principle graphics renderer. My question really is, are there any sdl specific macros for me to use to plug my framework into sdl? Also, I would like to, if i may, add this framework or plugin to the sdl’s next major version, as i am not too sure of the work involved needed to achieve this task. And if there is specific developer documentation for this purpose, i’d appreciate it as well. Thanks and Cheers!

Quote:

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org
DirectX support
MrOzBarry

Jaffar, is your DirectX code c++?  If that's the case, we'd have to break it down into C to get it included into SDL.  One idea of SDL (from what I understand) is that it's in C to be the lowest common denominator (outside of ASM) to almost every other language available, where-as C++ does not always translate that well.  If you post your code up on github, I'm sure there are a handful of people on the list that can help Smile

-Alex

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Giorgos Sarris wrote:
Quote:
Hi there,

This is great news!
I hope this helps to develop a Metro (RT) version of SDL2 for both phone and windows 8.

Thanks,
Giorgos

To:

Quote:
Hi all.  I have made for myself a DirectX based framework incorporating both directX 2d and 3d support as well as XAudio2, XAudio and directSound.  This personal framework is based entirely of the various classes i have made for a game i am working on.  This personal framework is also built with windows 8 in mind, so I am hoping to, in some small way, contribute to windows 8 game development with the next generation of sdl.  What I would like to do is to plug this framework into Sdl, then use Sdl as the interface to call these classes as and when i would need directX support for my game.  My intention is to allow the user to either choose OpenGl or directX  as their principle graphics renderer.  My question really is, are there any sdl specific macros for me to use to plug my framework into sdl?  Also, I would like to, if i may, add this framework or plugin to the sdl’s next  major version, as i am not too sure of the work involved needed to achieve this task.  And if there is specific developer documentation for this purpose, i’d appreciate it as well.  Thanks and Cheers!

Quote:

DirectX support
jaffar.sidek10

Hi Alex. Yes it is coded with c++, but it would be a breeze for me to translate it to c. The reason why i coded my framework in c++ in the first place was to take advantage of OOP, but i guess it will work just as well if it were in c. I’ll do the necessary translation during the week end and post it to github some time next week. Do I have to sign up with a developer account? Thanks and cheers.
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:19 PM
To: ; SDL Development List
Subject: Re: [SDL] DirectX support

Jaffar, is your DirectX code c++? If that's the case, we'd have to break it down into C to get it included into SDL. One idea of SDL (from what I understand) is that it's in C to be the lowest common denominator (outside of ASM) to almost every other language available, where-as C++ does not always translate that well. If you post your code up on github, I'm sure there are a handful of people on the list that can help Smile
-Alex

Quote:
Hi there,

This is great news!

Thanks,
Giorgos

To:

Quote:

Quote:

DirectX support
MrOzBarry

What I'd recommend is creating a BitBucket account, fork SDL2, add in your directx support, then create a ticket on bugzilla for implementing a directx backend - in all likelihood, it will take a number of iterations before it's considered to be included, but we would have to start somewhere Smile

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM, wrote:
Quote:
Hi Alex.  Yes it is coded with c++, but it would be a breeze for me to translate it to c.  The reason why i coded my framework in c++ in the first place was to take advantage of OOP, but i guess it will work just as well if it were in c.  I’ll do the necessary translation during the week end and post it to github some time next week.  Do I have to sign up with a developer account?  Thanks and cheers.

Jaffar, is your DirectX code c++?  If that's the case, we'd have to break it down into C to get it included into SDL.  One idea of SDL (from what I understand) is that it's in C to be the lowest common denominator (outside of ASM) to almost every other language available, where-as C++ does not always translate that well.  If you post your code up on github, I'm sure there are a handful of people on the list that can help Smile  
-Alex

Quote:
Hi there,

This is great news!

Thanks,
Giorgos  

To:

Quote:
Hi all.  I have made for myself a DirectX based framework incorporating both directX 2d and 3d support as well as XAudio2, XAudio and directSound.  This personal framework is based entirely of the various classes i have made for a game i am working on.  This personal framework is also built with windows 8 in mind, so I am hoping to, in some small way, contribute to windows 8 game development with the next generation of sdl.  What I would like to do is to plug this framework into Sdl, then use Sdl as the interface to call these classes as and when i would need directX support for my game.  My intention is to allow the user to either choose OpenGl or directX  as their principle graphics renderer.  My question really is, are there any sdl specific macros for me to use to plug my framework into sdl?  Also, I would like to, if i may, add this framework or plugin to the sdl’s next  major version, as i am not too sure of the work involved needed to achieve this task.  And if there is specific developer documentation for this purpose, i’d appreciate it as well.  Thanks and Cheers!

Quote:

DirectX support
Paulo Pinto

With Microsoft dropping the ball on C, SDL might eventually require on Windows the same type of wrappers as on Mac OS X/iOS and Objective-C bindings.

WinRT is a COM based API, and although it is possible to be usable from C, the new interfaces are
rather complex to use from any non OO language.

--
Paulo

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Alex Barry wrote:
Quote:
Jaffar, is your DirectX code c++?  If that's the case, we'd have to break it down into C to get it included into SDL.  One idea of SDL (from what I understand) is that it's in C to be the lowest common denominator (outside of ASM) to almost every other language available, where-as C++ does not always translate that well.  If you post your code up on github, I'm sure there are a handful of people on the list that can help Smile

-Alex

Quote:
Hi there,

This is great news!

Thanks,
Giorgos

To:

Quote:

Quote:

DirectX support
jaffar.sidek10

Hi Alex. Thank you. I’ll get a git bucket account once i’ve finished my code translation. Cheers!

Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:33 AM
To: SDL Development List

What I'd recommend is creating a BitBucket account, fork SDL2, add in your directx support, then create a ticket on bugzilla for implementing a directx backend - in all likelihood, it will take a number of iterations before it's considered to be included, but we would have to start somewhere Smile

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM, wrote:
Quote:
Hi Alex. Yes it is coded with c++, but it would be a breeze for me to translate it to c. The reason why i coded my framework in c++ in the first place was to take advantage of OOP, but i guess it will work just as well if it were in c. I’ll do the necessary translation during the week end and post it to github some time next week. Do I have to sign up with a developer account? Thanks and cheers.

Jaffar, is your DirectX code c++? If that's the case, we'd have to break it down into C to get it included into SDL. One idea of SDL (from what I understand) is that it's in C to be the lowest common denominator (outside of ASM) to almost every other language available, where-as C++ does not always translate that well. If you post your code up on github, I'm sure there are a handful of people on the list that can help Smile
-Alex

Quote:
Hi there,

This is great news!

Thanks,
Giorgos

To:

Quote:

Quote:

DirectX support
jaffar.sidek10

Hi Paulo. You are on the ball here. I took a look at the win rt structure and actually tried to build a skeleton windows application with c code based on it. Well, it is not as easy as it was doing the same with win32 or 64. Most of the win rt architecture is now based on c++ 11 and heavily reliant on com. Also, most of it’s structure is geared towards the microsoft family of languages for it’s exposure, and even trying to structure the code based on earlier versions of c++ would be a struggle. Well, perhaps now i have a goal in sight, and that is to create a c++ wrapper for sdl. My only concern is that while trying to upgrade and modernize sdl, i hope i would not have to sacrifice ease of use. One of the things that brought me to sdl in the first place is it’s very short and sweet coding structure to get things going. As an example, 1 line of code for sdl to create a screen, vs 3 to four with DirectX. Having said that though, there are many things sdl yet can’t do, which i am hoping it can, hence my interest in DirectX support. Cheers!
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:08 AM
To: SDL Development List

With Microsoft dropping the ball on C, SDL might eventually require on Windows the same type of wrappers as on Mac OS X/iOS and Objective-C bindings.

WinRT is a COM based API, and although it is possible to be usable from C, the new interfaces are
rather complex to use from any non OO language.

--
Paulo

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Alex Barry wrote:
Quote:
-Alex

Quote:
Hi there,

This is great news!

Thanks,
Giorgos

To:

Quote:

Quote: