The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
"TetriCrisis 4 100% A.I."-Win/Linux-Beta#1...
JeZ-l-Lee

"TetriCrisis 4 100% A.I."-Win/Linux-Beta#1...
___________________________________________________________________________________
"TetriCrisis 4 100% A.I."
Official Beta # 1
100% Cross-Platform Open-Source
( SDL 1.2, SDL_Image, SDL_Mixer, SDL_TTF, OpenGL(R) )
___________________________________________________________________________________
Windows(R)/Linux Dual Build:
http://16bitsoft.com/files/T-C-4/WinLinux/TC4-WinLinux-Beta1.zip
( Windows(R) EXEcutable/Linux MakeFile )
PLEASE Help Test! - Anyone Who Helps Will Get Their Name In The Staff Credits Of The Official Release!
Screenshots are below:

bala_48225

Hi Mr Lee, TetriCrisis 4 is vibrant! I like the new graphics, they look good, especially in the blocks. Oh yeah, BTW I'm getting better at LettersFall, now that I understand how to play better; I guess I haven't played alot of word games so far. Finally, how did you learn to do the OpenGL 2D texture graphics and animation? I just fired up OpenGL Ortho last night and today, slapped my first texture onscreen, after almost 2 years of focusing on the regular SDL surface API (and Sprig) and flirting for 1 week with the idea of jumping ship to some other (irritating) API/library/game engine (SFML, HGE, etc). Firing up OpenGL last night felt good, I guess I'm progressing to the next level. If you don't mind, perhaps you could point me to the right website or book(s) about the 2D OpenGL stuff that you do. Very Happy I'll go back and play it again and try to find some bugs for you. -B
JeZ-l-Lee

bala_48225 wrote:
Hi Mr Lee, TetriCrisis 4 is vibrant! I like the new graphics, they look good, especially in the blocks. Oh yeah, BTW I'm getting better at LettersFall, now that I understand how to play better; I guess I haven't played alot of word games so far. Finally, how did you learn to do the OpenGL 2D texture graphics and animation? I just fired up OpenGL Ortho last night and today, slapped my first texture onscreen, after almost 2 years of focusing on the regular SDL surface API (and Sprig) and flirting for 1 week with the idea of jumping ship to some other (irritating) API/library/game engine (SFML, HGE, etc). Firing up OpenGL last night felt good, I guess I'm progressing to the next level. If you don't mind, perhaps you could point me to the right website or book(s) about the 2D OpenGL stuff that you do. Very Happy I'll go back and play it again and try to find some bugs for you. -B
Hi,

Thanks for playing: "TetriCrisis 4 100% A.I.".

This game is open-source, please read and modify the included source code
to learn and make your own SDL 1.2 + OpenGL(R) video game project.

If you get stuck on something then Google is your best friend.
Google: "SDL OpenGL" to find other examples and projects.
(This is how I learned OpenGL(R) in an SDL context.)

Thanks again and good luck with your projects!

PS - What name do you wish to have in the staff credits?
(will be in upcoming Beta # 2 release)
first bug found
bala_48225

Double click on Icon to start game (starts in a 640x480 window) -> Clicked maximize button -> clicked start game, then

Clicked fullscreen mode to ON (fullsize window disappears and everything moves up a bit): Now the sense ys are off and clicking is inaccurate, everything needs to be clicked below where you expect, sometimes on the option below the intended option.

My beta testing name could be formerBGIuser.

I looked at the project and that's good how you get the icon to work with the resource file (I'm learning something already). Also, I see how you're using the guard blocks in you headers compared to the last Lettersfall source code.
bug 2 and comments on coding style (improvement)
bala_48225

If I start the game, then maximize, then minimize, then click on it to bring it back, it first looks like it's maximizing again, but exits instead. the last line in stdout said "_WIN32_IE not defined", idk if that's not a normal message because I thought I saw it before too.

On the plus side, I was able to resize it over and over, from maximize to standard small, to all other sizes and shapes and the game handled it perfectly, so that's a big improvement over the Lettersfall game, which crashes when you resize too many times in a row. Also, Lettersfall would crash if some images or fonts weren't in their directories, while with this game I moved the font, a sound effect and an image out of their directories to my desktop and the game played, which means you didn't try to access a nonexistent texture and I guess you like your game to play "crippled" like that, though the standard method is to exit with an error code in that instance. In all an interesting approach and I imagine it lends itself well to the development process or makes the game more "rugged". Interestingly, I removed the boxes.png file so I sure couldn't see anything when the game played, lol! Perhaps in that case you could theoretically use a rectangle to denote the boxes.

I looked over the whole code of the game this time unlike the post above and I was really impressed at how much you've improved your coding style, what with the relative eschewing of global variables compared to the last Lettersfall I downloaded. It looks like you've really read up on the C++ and you're doing inheritance too (I don't do that yet), so kudos on those two points also (I guess that ex-pro on Gamedev made an impression last year). Thanks very much for the advice about the SDL+OpenGL, and I'm honored to be an official beta-tester! -B

Edited 11-29-11 for wordiness, content and wording.
Re: first bug found
JeZ-l-Lee

bala_48225 wrote:
Double click on Icon to start game (starts in a 640x480 window) -> Clicked maximize button -> clicked start game, then

Clicked fullscreen mode to ON (fullsize window disappears and everything moves up a bit): Now the sense ys are off and clicking is inaccurate, everything needs to be clicked below where you expect, sometimes on the option below the intended option.

My beta testing name could be formerBGIuser. ...
Hi,

I fixed the maximize then full screen mouse coordinates bug.
I added your nick name to the staff credits.
Beta # 2 will be released soon.
Thanks!

Official SDL Forum Post URL:
http://forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.php?t=7700