The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Command key handling in Mac OS X
fackie

Hello all,

Are we aware of issues handling events generated when using the Command key in Mac OS X?

I am having difficulty triggering an event when CMD+C is pressed. Feels like OS X is hijacking the key combination. I can identify events with each key pressed separately, but not combined.

If issues exist, are there any workarounds?

Thanks.
Dominus

Assigned shortcuts (System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts) and system standard shortcuts that can't be changed (CMD+ C/V/Z/H) are behaving difficult in Apps. Especially the system standard/basic ones. These can't be changed (without something like Better Touch Tool) and should be avoided for other uses.
fackie

Dominus wrote:
Assigned shortcuts (System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts) and system standard shortcuts that can't be changed (CMD+ C/V/Z/H) are behaving difficult in Apps. Especially the system standard/basic ones. These can't be changed (without something like Better Touch Tool) and should be avoided for other uses.

Ah... That's a bit of a bummer as what I'm working on is exactly sort of an editor, which benefits from being able to use the same keys for the functionality that users are used to: CMD+C for copy, CMD+V for paste, etc.

Are there any lower level workarounds that can be used to circumvent this? I'm thinking that text editors like TextWrangler can of course use them, so the higher layer SDL operates on may be a limiting factor.

Any other ideas?

Thanks