The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Guisan - C++ SDL2 toolkit
Alexander von Gluck IV

Hello,

I've had this Guichan port to SDL2 named Guisan (Guichan grown up) hanging out in my github account forever now.
I thought I'd post about it here :-). Guisan is a fork of the old Guichan to support SDL2.

Guisan is an SDL2 GUI toolkit with a pretty simple API.

Screenshot demo of widgets:

https://s9.postimg.org/j1hc44z1r/Screenshot_from_2016_09_03_12_29_31.png

It's seen some updates, SDL2 support, and a conversion to SCons.

The toolkit is BSD licensed and designed to be statically linked into your project to keep things simple.

https://github.com/kallisti5/guisan

If anyone is interested, pull requests are definitely appreciated. If someone wants to pick it up and run with it,
i'll gladly convert it into a github project and add other admins to the repo. I have a lot of open source
projects under my belt now-a-days and Guisan has sadly gone unchanged for a year now.

Thanks!
-- Alex
actsl

Great, finally a toolkit that works with SDL2, a lot of work for sure, thank you for offering it for free to people.

It looks that it is not directly for SDL2 though, but uses OpenGL which works together with SDL.

Sorry, i didn't try to use it and cannot say anything about how well it works, or how easily changeable it is. By somewhat looking at the code, it looked like it is some type of retained GUI, not a type of immediate GUI like my widget toolkit (kiss_sdl).

It looks like that it has almost all the same widgets as my widget toolkit, i didn't see an entry box though. It is written in C++, mine is written in C.

But it is a question what means simple. I counted 28362 lines of code in your toolkit, but in my widget toolkit there are only 2437 lines of code, thus your toolkit is 12 times more complex than mine.
Alexander von Gluck IV

September 3 2016 2:42 PM, "actsl" ([email]%22actsl%22%20[/email])> wrote:
Quote:
Great, finally a toolkit that works with SDL2, a lot of work for sure, thank you for offering it for free to people.

It looks that it is not directly for SDL2 though, but uses OpenGL which works together with SDL.

Sorry, i didn't try to use it and cannot say anything about how well it works, or how easily changeable it is. By somewhat looking at the code, it looked like it is some type of retained GUI, not a type of immediate GUI like my widget toolkit (kiss_sdl).

It looks like that it has almost all the same widgets as my widget toolkit, i didn't see an entry box though. It is written in C++, mine is written in C.

But it is a question what means simple. I counted 28362 lines of code in your toolkit, but in my widget toolkit there are only 2437 lines of code, thus your toolkit is 12 times more complex than mine.

Neat? Neat.. i'm going with neat.

Guichan's API pre-dates all of us (2004), and Guisan started in 2014.

How did this so quickly spiral into "my dad can beat up your dad?"
Anyway, the OpenGL support is optional and not a requirement.

Quite a few projects use Guichan, and Guisan can help those projects
move to SDL2 without much redesign.

-- Alex
actsl

I wrote mine from scratch, and didn't know any SDL toolkits that predated it.
MrTAToad

Guichan has a lot in it, but is very object-orientated - its a very heavy system to use
Sparks

What is with all the hostility?

Alex kindly provide source for a solution that some people would like, and in return, he gets grief?

Sheesh, we don't need this kind of attitude in the community, if you want to use it, fine, if not, fine.
actsl

Sparks wrote:
Alex kindly provide source for a solution that some people would like, and in return, he gets grief?

Please people read what was actually said, before getting the impression which that sentence may give you. Please please, we don't need any senseless arguments that have nothing to do with any software.
MrOzBarry

I don't know that you're being hostile, but you are being pushy.  You already have a thread about your stuff, this one is for guisan.
On Sep 3, 2016 5:54 PM, "actsl" wrote:
Quote:

Sparks wrote:

Please people read what was actually said, before getting the impression which that sentence may give you. Please please, we don't need any senseless arguments that have nothing to do with any software.

kiss_sdl - Simple generic GUI widget toolkit for SDL2 https://github.com/actsl/kiss_sdl

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Re: Guisan - C++ SDL2 toolkit
actsl

[quote="MrOzBarry"]I don't know that you're being hostile, but you are being pushy.[quote]
Second post here nothing to do with software.
Alexander von Gluck IV

September 3 2016 3:49 PM, "actsl" ([email]%22actsl%22%20[/email])> wrote:
Quote:
I wrote mine from scratch, and didn't know any SDL toolkits that predated it.

That's a pretty bold statement. There are tons of SDL gui toolkits out there.

SDL's website used to have a list of 3rd party projects, but it looks like they
dropped it with the SDL 2 website redesign.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120826070400/http://www.libsdl.org/libraries.php

Searching through the ML archives I see a *lot* of actsl talking to himself about
kiss_gui. (which is fine, whatever floats his/her boat)

Anyway, don't think I don't see the humour in all of this ML Wink As with any other
open source project, contributions to Guisan welcome.

-- Alex
actsl

Please write here the benefits of your toolkit. You say that i have been pushy with my toolkit, but you don't properly describe the features of your toolkit. You said in github and here that it is small and easy to use. But it is not small, it is 12 times more complex than my toolkit. I didn't write here at all otherwise, if it is a different category of a more advanced toolkit, there are different widget toolkits for different purposes and different users, there is no competition at all.

Please list the features of your toolkit here, the users want to know, and it is good for you, as the users may use it more, when they know more about it.
Jonny D

Hey, just be cool.  Guichan has been around for so long that it is unnecessary to list the features here.  People will either be interested or not and OP is welcome to do as he pleases.  He's announcing availability of useful code to an open-source community and we should be appreciative.

Alex, thanks so much for your work here and making it known on the list.

Jonny D

On Monday, September 5, 2016, actsl <[url=javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','');][/url]> wrote:
Quote:
Please write here the benefits of your toolkit. You say that i have been pushy with my toolkit, but you don't properly describe the features of your toolkit. You said in github and here that it is small and easy to use. But it is not small, it is 12 times more complex than my toolkit. I didn't write here at all otherwise, if it is a different category of a more advanced toolkit, there are different widget toolkits for different purposes and different users, there is no competition at all.

Please list the features of your toolkit here, the users want to know, and it is good for you, as the users may use it more, when they know more about it.

kiss_sdl - Simple generic GUI widget toolkit for SDL2 https://github.com/actsl/kiss_sdl

actsl

Jonny D wrote:
Hey, just be cool.  Guichan has been around for so long that it is unnecessary to list the features here.

So different standards are applied towards him and me. This is what i get for making software free for people. And i'm completely sure that not only me.
markand

2016-09-05 8:31 GMT+02:00 actsl:
Quote:
Please write here the benefits of your toolkit. You say that i have been
pushy with my toolkit, but you don't properly describe the features of your
toolkit. You said in github and here that it is small and easy to use. But
it is not small, it is 12 times more complex than my toolkit. I didn't write
here at all otherwise, if it is a different category of a more advanced
toolkit, there are different widget toolkits for different purposes and
different users, there is no competition at all.

Please list the features of your toolkit here, the users want to know, and
it is good for you, as the users may use it more, when they know more about
it.

I love your oversized ego.

Someone presents his project and you must compare yours and say yours
is better than Alex.

How the hell you can compare a project being better by having less
lines of code? This is absolutely nonsense.

So each time someone will present a new toolkit with different
features, different goals you will need to compare your own? That's
absolutely insane, there is not only kiss_sdl on earth man.

Alex, I was looking for a GUI toolkit in C++ and I'm in hurry to test it :-)

Regards,

--
Demelier David

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org
actsl

markand wrote:
is better than Alex.

I didn't say better, never said i that. But if some widget toolkit is said to be "small" or "minimalist", and mine is 10 or more times smaller, then i say that. Do i have a right to say that?
markand

2016-09-06 16:23 GMT+02:00 actsl:
Quote:

markand wrote:

is better than Alex.

I didn't say better, never said i that. But if some widget toolkit is said to be "small" or "minimalist", and mine is 10 or more times smaller, then i say that. Do i have a right to say that?

So again, just by checking the number of lines of code you can judge the minimalism of a toolkit?

A toolkit can have a lot of widgets and still be minimalist. I'm not sure where 30000 lines of code is not minimalist anymore for a *toolkit*.

--
Demelier David