The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL Forum Registration FAILS For New People - Please Fix!
JeZ-l-Lee

Hi,

People are complaining in the IRC FreeNode channel that they can't register on the SDL forums.
I tried this now and can confirm that is it currently NOT WORKING...

"Sorry, but only users granted special access can post topics in this forum."

Can someone fix this?
Thanks!
MrOzBarry

I think Sam/Ryan have to approve people, because otherwise the forums get spammed to shit.

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 4:50 AM, JeZ-l-Lee wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

People are complaining in the IRC FreeNode channel that they can't register on the SDL forums.
I tried this now and can confirm that is it currently NOT WORKING...

"Sorry, but only users granted special access can post topics in this forum."

Can someone fix this?
Thanks!

JeZxLee
JessePalser <AT> GMail <DOT> com
16BitSoft Inc.
Video Game Design Studio
www.16BitSoft.com

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

JeZ-l-Lee

Hi,

Well ok, I guess...
Forum software has come a long way over the last 10 years.
Would be great if they could make new forums?
MrOzBarry

That's something you'd have to take up with Ryan or Sam.  Personally, I was just working with another community to upgrade from phpBB.  There are two great options available; MyBB and Vanilla Forums, both of which offer phpBB migration scripts and have decent security records.  But this isn't just a simple upgrade.  There is some syncing of topics between the forums and mailing lists that might be custom code or a plugin that isn't available everywhere.  I also think there was recently (within the last 2 years) work done on it, but I don't know to what extent.

So, this is probably a good conversation to have, but in reality, the best spam deterrent is manual intervention.  Even with an upgrade and using anti-spam plugins, someone has to occasionally go in and clean things up.  The problem here is most of the people in this community do not have that sort of time to dedicate to an anti-spam war, which is why most of the white-listing on the forums happens about once a month.

I contribute exclusively via the mailing list, so the forums really don't matter to me that much to me.  That said, mailing lists are a bit of a legacy platform, and there might be some value to upgrading.  Some of the issue is that we have a very large and content rich mailing list archive spanning over two decades, so I don't think anyone wants to completely abandon it.

Anyway, that's my two cents, maybe someone else has a different set of opinions on it.

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 7:37 PM, JeZ-l-Lee wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Well ok, I guess...
Forum software has come a long way over the last 10 years.
Would be great if they could make new forums?

JeZxLee
JessePalser <AT> GMail <DOT> com
16BitSoft Inc.
Video Game Design Studio
www.16BitSoft.com

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org