The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL 2.0 OpenGL 1.1 Android Poor Performance on Adreno GPU's
Timodor

I have my 3D soccer Game which runs in 3D gets 73 stable using about 250 Draw Calls using a Mali-400MP GPU with 11 Players vs 11 Players.
Family member has a S3 Samsung again with a MALI, gets 61fps stable. Seems like The Devices Refresh Rate is Locked.

Yet my Phone which has Quad Core Processor same as the Tablet buts runs the Adreno 305 only manages 45fps with 11 Players vs 11 Players. My Mate has Adreno brand new phone yet manages about 40fps. I have other Adreno's olders phones, they all experience this 40 fps game play.

I'm wondering might SDL 2.0 be the cause? I do have an older version. Maybe EGL? Anyone experienced bad performance with Adreno?

IF you have a Adreno you can test the game if you want with 11 vs 11, it has FPS on top corner of the game. Link Below

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ti.soccer&hl=en
blueshogun96

This sounds like more of an OpenGL [ES] issue, rather than an SDL issue. Why are you using ES 1.1? ES 2.0+ is more efficient, and the majority of devices are supporting programmable pipelines. Also, have you considered using instancing or optimizing your draw calls? Once again, I recommend looking into your rendering code, preferably with a profiler.

Shogun
Timodor

blueshogun96 wrote:
This sounds like more of an OpenGL [ES] issue, rather than an SDL issue. Why are you using ES 1.1? ES 2.0+ is more efficient, and the majority of devices are supporting programmable pipelines. Also, have you considered using instancing or optimizing your draw calls? Once again, I recommend looking into your rendering code, preferably with a profiler.

Shogun

I don't have experience or the knowledge of working with OpenGL 2.0 MALI seems run faster then Adreno , Maybe the issue is Bad Support for OpenGL 1.1 using Adreno Devices.

Its really hard to see the real performance of MALI as the Screen-refresh is capped.
Timodor

blueshogun96 wrote:

Shogun

Just drawing alone has 6 Draw Calls per Player with 22 Players, that's 132 Draw Calls. MALI handles this fine.