The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Breakpoint in fullscreen application on Windows
Christian Leger

One quick & dirty (but useful) approach is to draw the values of your variables on screen. This way you can bypass the debugger completely. It can be text or diagrams or graphs, depending on what you're trying to keep track of. It's slightly less flexible but more focused and possibly faster. A large number of programs out there use some form of visual, live debugging displays like this. I love them.

It must also be possible to have your SDL event handling not catch everything, so that for example you can switch windows when a breakpoint is hit. However I'd need to review the event model to be sure.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 5:55 AM, michalferko wrote:
Quote:
Hi there. I am developing an SDL+OpenGL app and have some issues with debugging when the SDL window is fullscreen. When the fullscreen window is created and the debugger hits a breakpoint, the SDL window stays on top no matter what. And I have trouble getting it to close, debugging is impossible since I cannot even switch to the debugger.

Can this be solved in some way (maybe setting some flags for the window)? For now I'm sticking to non-fullscreen debugging, but I could really use it sometimes. I did not have these problems when creating OpenGL windows through WinAPI. I switched to SDL only recently, so I guess there must be something I missed.

Thanks for any answers.

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

mr_tawan

I think the best way to debug full screen application (although I haven't tried that yet) is to use remote debugger.

Anyway have you tried using multiple monitor ?