The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL2 Android -> GL_TEXTURE_EXTERNAL_OES for videoplaybac
KubaBrt

Hello everyone,

first of all, many thanks to any SDL2 contributor, for providing such reach and stable multimedia 2d framework,
i tested many frameworks such SFML, Cocos2DX, MonoGame etc. etc, and SDL2 looks most mature and stable, and as i see with realy good community support.

Currently my company building, a 2d multimedia UI framework based on SDL2. Our framework is designed to work under Win, Linux and Android systems.

One of the most important features of our framework is videoplayback capability. Currently we sucessfully acomplished videoplayback with SDL2 for Linux and Windows systems. We are using libvlc for linux with yuv textures with really good performance. End user can playback any video and animate them or make another funcy stuff. On windows we made VMR9 and EVR renderers with hardware video decoding with zero buffer memory streaming. We are able to extract from SDL_Texture native d3d texture and work with them.

But on android things are a little more dificcult, beacuse we have to work with ugly JNI and mix with Java code ...
We would like to use standard android mediaplayer class, and call mediaplayer via JNI interface. Mediaplayer is capable to stream decoded video frames directly to GLTexture. But mediaplayer requires GLTexture created as GL_TEXTURE_EXTERNAL_OES not GL_TEXTURE2D.

I don't want to work with OpenGL directly i would like to use all SDL features, so i would like to create SDL_Texture as GL_TEXTURE_EXTERNAL_OES.
Do you have any ideas how to accomplish that?

many thanks in advance,