The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Suggested edits for SDL android implementation
Owen Alanzo Hogarth

Hi all

I've been looking at the SDL_android.c implementation and due to the way android deals with lifecycle events the current implementation uses static but there are a few places where the android code leaks out of SDL_android.c.

Example:
ANativeWindow* Android_JNI_GetNativeWindow(void)
{
    ANativeWindow* anw;
    jobject s;
    JNIEnv *env = Android_JNI_GetEnv();
    s = (*env)->CallStaticObjectMethod(env, mActivityClass, midGetNativeSurface);
    anw = ANativeWindow_fromSurface(env, s);
    (*env)->DeleteLocalRef(env, s);

return anw;
}

This function is also used in another android module:src/video/android/SDL_androidwindow.c line 66

data->native_window = Android_JNI_GetNativeWindow();

Wouldn't it be easier to maintain if we moved this window initialization code back into the main SDL_android.c?

Is there an android maintainer on this project?
Leonardo

Hi! AFAIK there is no "android maintainer". Ryan and Sam are the most active in the project, with occasional commits from others. I've been looking at your discussions and suggestions, and I think you should open bug reports to them, providing patches so that everyone else can test what you're doing.

This is usually how you get code accepted, it seems. It can take a long time, though, which makes me guess if its not time for SDL to move to another development model (something more open and easier to accept patches).

Em dom, 20 de set de 2015 às 11:21, Owen Alanzo Hogarth escreveu:

Quote:
Hi all

I've been looking at the SDL_android.c implementation and due to the way android deals with lifecycle events the current implementation uses static but there are a few places where the android code leaks out of SDL_android.c.

Example:
{
    ANativeWindow* anw;
    jobject s;

return anw;
}

This function is also used in another android module:src/video/android/SDL_androidwindow.c line 66

Wouldn't it be easier to maintain if we moved this window initialization code back into the main SDL_android.c?

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org
Owen Alanzo Hogarth

I've been digging around in SDL mostly android for now, it seems there's even some code in there that's unused, probably from the SDL 1.x days

How do I submit bug reports and submit patches? It's something that I wouldn't mind doing. I don't want to take SDL too far away from it's core because it does so much right already, I just think there's maybe not  a lot of android users doing what I am trying to do with SDL.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Leonardo Guilherme wrote:
Quote:
Hi! AFAIK there is no "android maintainer". Ryan and Sam are the most active in the project, with occasional commits from others. I've been looking at your discussions and suggestions, and I think you should open bug reports to them, providing patches so that everyone else can test what you're doing.

This is usually how you get code accepted, it seems. It can take a long time, though, which makes me guess if its not time for SDL to move to another development model (something more open and easier to accept patches).

Em dom, 20 de set de 2015 às 11:21, Owen Alanzo Hogarth escreveu:

Quote:
Hi all

Example:
{
    ANativeWindow* anw;
    jobject s;

return anw;
}

gabomdq

Philipp Wiesemann does most of the Android work nowadays, I can help out as well. If you have a recommended change, file a bug in bugzilla.libsdl.org with a patch.In the particular case you mention below, I doubt it will be accepted, there's some common structure to how all the video backends are organized and I think this particular detail you mention is due to that.

2015-09-20 11:21 GMT-03:00 Owen Alanzo Hogarth:
Quote:
Hi all

Example:
{
    ANativeWindow* anw;
    jobject s;

return anw;
}

--
Gabriel.
Owen Alanzo Hogarth

Hi

Thanks for the feedback, I was able to sort out a moving some of the backend stuff by adjusting the way I deal with JNI in SDL_android.c

One question though, it seems that the function:

JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_org_libsdl_app_SDLActivity_nativeFlipBuffers(JNIEnv* env, jclass jcls)
{
    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(Android_Window);
}
is never actually called. I think it might be some dead code from the sdl 1.x days where you guys did the egl handling, maybe I wasn't around back then.
I've traced many applications and it's not being called. Although looking the source with grep:
Brother:SDL blubee$ grep -rn "SDL_GL_SwapWindow" .
./_SDL_android.c:306:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(Android_Window);
./docs/README-ios.md:147:- The drawable Renderbuffer must be bound to the GL_RENDERBUFFER binding point when SDL_GL_SwapWindow is called.
./docs/README-ios.md:148:- The drawable Framebuffer Object must be bound while rendering to the screen and when SDL_GL_SwapWindow is called.
./include/SDL_syswm.h:234:            GLuint colorbuffer; /* The GL view's color Renderbuffer Object. It must be bound when SDL_GL_SwapWindow is called. */
./include/SDL_video.h:1060:extern DECLSPEC void SDLCALL SDL_GL_SwapWindow(SDL_Window * window);
./lwp.c:420:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(Android_Window);
./SDL_android.c:404:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(Android_Window);
./src/core/android/SDL_android.c:273:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(Android_Window);
./src/dynapi/SDL_dynapi_overrides.h:570:#define SDL_GL_SwapWindow SDL_GL_SwapWindow_REAL
./src/dynapi/SDL_dynapi_procs.h:598:SDL_DYNAPI_PROC(void,SDL_GL_SwapWindow,(SDL_Window *a),(a),)
./src/render/opengl/SDL_render_gl.c:1473:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(renderer->window);
./src/render/opengles/SDL_render_gles.c:1170:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(renderer->window);
./src/render/opengles2/SDL_render_gles2.c:1872:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(renderer->window);
./src/video/SDL_video.c:3177:SDL_GL_SwapWindow(SDL_Window * window)
./src/video/uikit/SDL_uikitappdelegate.m:342:     * displayed (e.g. if resources are loaded before SDL_GL_SwapWindow is
./test/testgl2.c:393:            SDL_GL_SwapWindow(state->windows[i]);
./test/testgles.c:308:                                SDL_GL_SwapWindow(state->windows[i]);
./test/testgles.c:328:            SDL_GL_SwapWindow(state->windows[i]);
./test/testgles2.c:447:                            SDL_GL_SwapWindow(state->windows[i]);
./test/testgles2.c:466:          SDL_GL_SwapWindow(state->windows[i]);
./test/testshader.c:413:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(window);
./Xcode-iOS/Demos/src/fireworks.c:459:        SDL_GL_SwapWindow(window);

I can see it is referenced in a few .c files, what's the deal with that function? Is it only for ios?

Could it be safely removed from the SDL_android.c?

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:43 PM, Gabriel Jacobo wrote:
Quote:
Philipp Wiesemann does most of the Android work nowadays, I can help out as well. If you have a recommended change, file a bug in bugzilla.libsdl.org with a patch.In the particular case you mention below, I doubt it will be accepted, there's some common structure to how all the video backends are organized and I think this particular detail you mention is due to that.

Quote:
Hi all

Example:
{
    ANativeWindow* anw;
    jobject s;

return anw;
}

--
Gabriel.

slvn

Hi,

After a quick look, I think Owen is right:

those "flipBuffer" functions does not seem to be used (also Android_JNI_SwapWindow is not used).

files:
android-project/src/org/libsdl/app/SDLActivity.java
src/core/android/SDL_android.c
src/core/android/SDL_android.h

Cheers,

Sylvain

On 21 September 2015 at 14:09, Owen Alanzo Hogarth wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Thanks for the feedback, I was able to sort out a moving some of the backend stuff by adjusting the way I deal with JNI in SDL_android.c

One question though, it seems that the function:

JNIEXPORT void JNICALL Java_org_libsdl_app_SDLActivity_nativeFlipBuffers(JNIEnv* env, jclass jcls)
{
    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(Android_Window);
}
is never actually called. I think it might be some dead code from the sdl 1.x days where you guys did the egl handling, maybe I wasn't around back then.
I've traced many applications and it's not being called. Although looking the source with grep:
Brother:SDL blubee$ grep -rn "SDL_GL_SwapWindow" .
./_SDL_android.c:306:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(Android_Window);
./docs/README-ios.md:147:- The drawable Renderbuffer must be bound to the GL_RENDERBUFFER binding point when SDL_GL_SwapWindow is called.
./docs/README-ios.md:148:- The drawable Framebuffer Object must be bound while rendering to the screen and when SDL_GL_SwapWindow is called.
./include/SDL_syswm.h:234:            GLuint colorbuffer; /* The GL view's color Renderbuffer Object. It must be bound when SDL_GL_SwapWindow is called. */
./include/SDL_video.h:1060:extern DECLSPEC void SDLCALL SDL_GL_SwapWindow(SDL_Window * window);
./lwp.c:420:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(Android_Window);
./SDL_android.c:404:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(Android_Window);
./src/core/android/SDL_android.c:273:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(Android_Window);
./src/dynapi/SDL_dynapi_overrides.h:570:#define SDL_GL_SwapWindow SDL_GL_SwapWindow_REAL
./src/dynapi/SDL_dynapi_procs.h:598:SDL_DYNAPI_PROC(void,SDL_GL_SwapWindow,(SDL_Window *a),(a),)
./src/render/opengl/SDL_render_gl.c:1473:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(renderer->window);
./src/render/opengles/SDL_render_gles.c:1170:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(renderer->window);
./src/render/opengles2/SDL_render_gles2.c:1872:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(renderer->window);
./src/video/SDL_video.c:3177:SDL_GL_SwapWindow(SDL_Window * window)
./src/video/uikit/SDL_uikitappdelegate.m:342:     * displayed (e.g. if resources are loaded before SDL_GL_SwapWindow is
./test/testgl2.c:393:            SDL_GL_SwapWindow(state->windows[i]);
./test/testgles.c:308:                                SDL_GL_SwapWindow(state->windows[i]);
./test/testgles.c:328:            SDL_GL_SwapWindow(state->windows[i]);
./test/testgles2.c:447:                            SDL_GL_SwapWindow(state->windows[i]);
./test/testgles2.c:466:          SDL_GL_SwapWindow(state->windows[i]);
./test/testshader.c:413:    SDL_GL_SwapWindow(window);
./Xcode-iOS/Demos/src/fireworks.c:459:        SDL_GL_SwapWindow(window);

I can see it is referenced in a few .c files, what's the deal with that function? Is it only for ios?

Could it be safely removed from the SDL_android.c?

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:43 PM, Gabriel Jacobo wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Hi all

Example:
{
    ANativeWindow* anw;
    jobject s;

return anw;
}

--
Gabriel.

--
Sylvain Becker