The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Force Angle opengl implementation?
tjcbs

Is there a way to force the Angle implementation when opengl es is selected?

There needs to be a way to do this. As it stands, SDL will pick the gpu driver's implementation, if it is reported. Unfortunately, no one really uses these, and so they don't work for squat: for me, Intel's shows a blank screen, and NVidia's is missing many functions. I've never tried AMD's, but I assume the worst.

This makes Angle all but worthless. If it doesn't exist already, there needs to be a way to tell SDL to use Angle no matter what. Really, this should be the default behavior.
.3lite

I agree. Personally I did remove that part of the code from SDL2 so it does not try to use driver implementation if extension is supported.
Force Angle opengl implementation?
gabomdq

It used to be the case that we didn't let you select the GL backend by policy, but at some point I spoke with Sam and he said we should allow it. This hasn't been implemented yet.

2015-06-26 3:18 GMT-03:00 tjcbs:
Quote:
Is there a way to force the Angle implementation when opengl es is selected?

There needs to be a way to do this. As it stands, SDL will pick the gpu driver's implementation, if it is reported. Unfortunately, no one really uses these, and so they don't work for squat: for me, Intel's shows a blank screen, and NVidia's is missing many functions. I've never tried AMD's, but I assume the worst.

This makes Angle all but worthless. If it doesn't exist already, there needs to be a way to tell SDL to use Angle no matter what. Really, this should be the default behavior.

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

--
Gabriel.
Re: Force Angle opengl implementation?
DLudwig

gabomdq wrote:
It used to be the case that we didn't let you select the GL backend by policy, but at some point I spoke with Sam and he said we should allow it. This hasn't been implemented yet.

Might setting the SDL_VIDEO_GL_DRIVER environment variable (via SDL_setenv, or other) to point to ANGLE's own .dll file work here? It looks like the code for that is already in place (in SDL_EGL_LoadLibrary), although I haven't tested this myself.

-- David L.
.3lite

Perhaps it would be worth to allow vertical synchronization for EGL on Windows as well? This bug was apparently fixed in the ANGLE some time ago.