The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL 2.0 and PNG alpha
Gary Grant

The TL;DR of this question is, how do you load images in SDL 2.0 while preserving their alpha values?

I recently attempted to migrate a small project of mine to SDL 2.0 from 1.2, and so far I have everything working, save for the alpha blending. I've not actually taken advantage of the texture render, I'm still building each frame from surfaces in software, then pushing the result out to the GPU.

The way I've handled alpha blending previously is that my PNG images contained the per pixel alpha data. I loaded surfaces using IMG_Load from the SDL Image library, and then optimized them, as explained in tutorials, by doing something like: 
optimizedImage = SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha( loadedImage ); 

From what I understand, SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha() uses an internal variable that stores the Display Format, and calls convert surface, and somehow adds the alpha channel into all of this. 

The function is gone from SDL 2.0 though, so I improvised based on my understanding, by doing:
optimizedSurface = SDL_ConvertSurface( loadedSurface, Format, NULL );

where Format was obtained from: Format=Screen->format;
and Screen is an SDL Surface, tied to the window SDL 2.0 gives:
 SDL Surface* Screen = SDL_GetWindowSurface( window );

Unfortunately, this causes me to lose the alpha values from my images. I've tried going without the function, and therefore the optimization. Everything works, including alpha, though the framerate slows to an unplayable crawl.

Even if I'm to start using the more advanced features of SDL 2.0, I still have the fundamental problem of loading these images correctly. Solutions and insight are greatly appreciated.
MrTAToad

Do you set blend mode before rendering ?
Naith

You can use the SDL_ConvertSurface() function to convert a surface into the same pixel format as the screen surface.

Example code:

Code:

SDL_Surface* pTemporarySurface = NULL;

// Create a temporary surface
pTemporarySurface = IMG_Load("Image.png");

if(pTemporarySurface)
{
   // Create the image surface in the same pixel format as the window
   m_pImageSurface = SDL_ConvertSurface(pTemporarySurface, m_pScreenSurface->format, NULL);
}

Then you just render the converted image surface as usual. The alpha channel in the PNG image should be preserved.

When you want to switch to using SDL_Texture's only, you can do it like this:

Exampel code:

Code:

SDL_Texture* m_pTexture = NULL;

m_pTexture = IMG_LoadTexture(m_pRenderer, "Image.png");

if(m_pTexture)
{
   SDL_Rect Rect = {0, 0, 0, 0};

SDL_QueryTexture(m_pTexture, NULL, NULL, &Rect.w, &Rect.h);

SDL_RenderCopy(m_pRenderer, m_pTexture, NULL, &Rect);
}

The IMG_LoadTexture() function is a function in the SDL_Image library that creates an SDL_Texture from a image file. The alpha channel in the PNG image is preserved when using this function aswell.
SDL 2.0 and PNG alpha
Jonny D

Hmm, that is unfortunate.  So the fake display surface in SDL 2 does not have an alpha channel, so images converted to its format lose their alpha...

Well, maybe you can try constructing your own format to see if the performance is still affected?  I would try making a copy of the screen surface's format, then add an alpha mask (which might be a guess for now).

Something like:
SDL_PixelFormat my_format = *Screen->format;
my_format.Amask = 0x000000ff;  // A guess...  Try 0xff000000 too?
optimizedSurface = SDL_ConvertSurface( loadedSurface, &my_format, NULL );

On Windows, SDL 2 always uses SDL_PIXELFORMAT_RGB888 for the display surface (see src/video/windows/SDL_windowsframebuffer.c:WIN_CreateWindowFramebuffer).  So if you want to do a little more work to get the mask right without guessing, then you can try copying and adjusting the logic in src/video/SDL_pixels.c:SDL_PixelFormatEnumToMasks to produce a reasonable Amask from that format enum.

Of course, the most obvious way forward is to stop using SDL_GetWindowSurface().  I personally have an older project for which I use my own constructed "screen" surface, then upload that surface each frame and then render it.  Or you can use the render API or something else.

Good luck!
Jonny D
SDL 2.0 and PNG alpha
Gary Grant

Manually setting Format.Amask does work, but as with not converting at all, it kills the performance. Thing is, reading the code in 1.2, this was exactly what the Display_Format_Alpha function did, without impacting performance. 

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Jonathan Dearborn wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, that is unfortunate.  So the fake display surface in SDL 2 does not have an alpha channel, so images converted to its format lose their alpha...

Well, maybe you can try constructing your own format to see if the performance is still affected?  I would try making a copy of the screen surface's format, then add an alpha mask (which might be a guess for now).

Something like:
SDL_PixelFormat my_format = *Screen->format;
my_format.Amask = 0x000000ff;  // A guess...  Try 0xff000000 too?
optimizedSurface = SDL_ConvertSurface( loadedSurface, &my_format, NULL );

On Windows, SDL 2 always uses SDL_PIXELFORMAT_RGB888 for the display surface (see src/video/windows/SDL_windowsframebuffer.c:WIN_CreateWindowFramebuffer).  So if you want to do a little more work to get the mask right without guessing, then you can try copying and adjusting the logic in src/video/SDL_pixels.c:SDL_PixelFormatEnumToMasks to produce a reasonable Amask from that format enum.

Of course, the most obvious way forward is to stop using SDL_GetWindowSurface().  I personally have an older project for which I use my own constructed "screen" surface, then upload that surface each frame and then render it.  Or you can use the render API or something else.

Good luck!
Jonny D

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org