The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Windows Phone 8 SDL support
Limanima

Hi, I've already searched about Windows Phone 8 SDL support but I couldn't find anything, probably indicating that it's not supported at this time.

Can someone please confirm me if it's supported or not?
I'm currently finishing my iOS/Android SDL game and It would be great to have a Windows Phone version.

Thanks!
Limanima

Hum... All this silence is not a good indication...
slvn

Hello,

Sorry, I saw your message on my mobile and I forgot answering.
The SDL does support Window Phone 8. you can find WP8 projet files
that are under mercurial.

SDL/VisualC-WinRT/WinPhone80_VS2012/
SDL/VisualC-WinRT/WinPhone81_VS2013/

The lib ttf, mixer, and image are also working.

Cheers,
Sylvain

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Limanima wrote:
Quote:
Hum... All this silence is not a good indication...

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

--
Sylvain Becker

Re: Windows Phone 8 SDL support
Limanima

slvn wrote:
Hello,

Cheers,
Sylvain

Thanks! Very Happy
I'm certainly going to check that. I'll only need mixer and image. Net would also be great, but it's not mandatory.
slvn

Another remarks : 

- I don't remember exactly, but you may need to get the library freetype/jpeg/png on their official websites to have their wp8 project.

- It exists (or will exist) a universal project for Window Phone + WinRT. If you start from scratch, it may be worth starting with this solution.

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Limanima wrote:
Quote:

slvn wrote:

Hello,

Cheers,
Sylvain

Thanks!
I'm certainly going to check that. I'll only need mixer and image. Net would also be great, but it's not mandatory.

--
Sylvain Becker
DLudwig

Thanks for the info, Sylvain! I'm on vacation, and my net access has been limited, otherwise I would've replied earlier. :-)

Limited support for SDL, SDL_mixer, and SDL_image is available for Windows Phone 8.0 and Windows Phone 8.1, as well as other platforms in the "WinRT" family (Windows 8.0, 8.1, and RT, inclusive). On Windows Phone, SDL support is currently limited to apps that don't use Windows Phone's native "XAML" based UI controls. Apps that only draw content, and process input with SDL should, however, be fine.

Here are a bunch of notes that I hope will help:

Regarding build environments: a copy of Visual C++ is required, at present. One of the free (cost-wise), "Express" editions should suffice.

The Windows Phone ports of SDL_mixer and SDL_image support a limited number of formats. Notably-supported formats include PNG, Jpeg, WebP, and Ogg Vorbis. If one of SDL_image or SDL_mixer's usual file formats isn't supported on Windows Phone (such as .mod, MIDI, and a bunch of others) and you need it, feel free to let me know and I'll try adding it in.

Support for SDL_net on Windows Phone is not currently available, but in theory, could be possible. I can provide skeleton project files for such, if you'd like to try to get this up and running. Do note that such a port wouldn't immediately work on Windows 8/8.1/RT, due to API limitations in the OS (assuming you're interested in porting your app to those platforms as well, at some point).

Some limited documentation is available at http://bit.ly/1zVi3bC. Do note that it's geared towards setting up a Windows 8 app, however the instructions for Windows Phone 8 are almost identical. Just be sure to start with Visual C++'s project files for Windows Phone 8, rather than the "Windows Store" app templates (which apply to Windows 8.x, and not Windows Phone).

Work on easier setup procedures (for SDL/Windows Phone apps) is on my to-do list (and will probably involve NuGet package management support, if possible), however I make no guarantees when that'll be available. It won't start until I get back from vacation and get settled back in, which shouldn't be for another couple of weeks, at best. Feel free to ask questions in the meantime, if you run into trouble. :-)

Cheers!
- David L.

Limanima wrote:
slvn wrote:
Hello,

Cheers,
Sylvain

Thanks! Very Happy
Limanima

Following this Win8 question, and a problem I'm having with sound in Android (not playing any sounds at all) I decided to update to the last mercurial version or all SDL libraries ( a little bit skeptical because everything was very stable).
I'm having some trouble compiling/linking, a new post will follow. Rolling Eyes
DLudwig

Hi Limanima,

I just pushed-out a linker-related fix for ARM builds of SDL/WinPhone8 (and other WinRT platforms too; via https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/rev/101109110bf7).

I hope this helps!

-- David L.

Limanima wrote:
Following this Win8 question, and a problem I'm having with sound in Android (not playing any sounds at all) I decided to update to the last mercurial version or all SDL libraries ( a little bit skeptical because everything was very stable).
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:
Hi Limanima,

I just pushed-out a linker-related fix for ARM builds of SDL/WinPhone8 (and other WinRT platforms too; via https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/rev/101109110bf7).

I hope this helps!

-- David L.

Limanima wrote:

Ok, I will check it out.
Juan Manuel Borges Caño

So SDL works on Windows Phones too!, I didn't pay much attention to that. Now, about the store... i'll web.
Meldryt

Is there still no SDL_net support for Windows Phone? In this case a skeleton project would be nice.
DLudwig

Meldryt wrote:
Is there still no SDL_net support for Windows Phone? In this case a skeleton project would be nice.

A build-able "port" of SDL_net for Windows Phone 8.x is now posted at https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdl_net . It's untested though, but should build. Project files exist for Windows Phone 8.0, Windows Phone 8.1, and Windows 8.1.

Some notes:
- Windows 8.1 support requires at least Visual C++ 2013 Update 4 or higher. (Winsock only got enabled for Windows 8.1, via that update to MSVC.)
- Windows 8.0 + Winsock is still unsupported in WinRT apps, as far as I'm aware.

Feel free to try it out, although I make no guarantees as to its usability or functionality.

Cheers!
-- David L.
Ryan C. Gordon

Quote:
A build-able "port" of SDL_net for Windows Phone 8.x is now posted at
https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdl_net

You're awesome, David, did you know that? Smile

--ryan.

DLudwig

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
You're awesome, David, did you know that? Smile

Thanks! Razz

Fortunately here, MS opened up access to WinSock 2 for most WinRT app types, with the notable exception of Windows 8.0. It seemed pretty odd that they didn't leave it available in the first place. I'm not sure if there are any restrictions on its use though. Some details are available at http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2014/10/13/winsock-and-more-open-source-for-your-windows-store-apps/

One minor correction: Winsock appears to be accessible for Windows 8.1 WinRT apps as of MSVC 2013 Update 3, not Update 4, as I previously reported.

Cheers,
-- David L.
Neil White

Quote:
win phone sdl finally nice, someone in California get me a laptop ( quite enjoying being a californina weirdo bum right now after a year of being a Mexican bum in mexico Smile laptop vanished in santa Barbra so any laptops in jumping distance of LA downtown would be epic, got access to a atom based dell craptop but it is too crap, and cheap laptops are too big and aretarded, and too expensive

anyway nice random ramble into the internet neil

SDL - nice.

android market search bogstd
Meldryt

thanks David! Nice work! Very Happy
Meldryt

Is it possible to send and receive UDP packets between Windows Phone and Windows 7/8.
On WP8 i can only receive my own packets.
DLudwig

Meldryt wrote:
Is it possible to send and receive UDP packets between Windows Phone and Windows 7/8.
On WP8 i can only receive my own packets.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure. I do know that there are a few network-related capabilities/access-grants that can be declared in the app package's manifest file. Perhaps one or more of those are switched off, and need to be turned on? A list is available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/JJ835817(v=win.10).aspx

-- David L.
Limanima

Hi, I've been away for sometime but I'm back.
So SDL_Net is working? I'm going to try that out.

Meanwhile my game is working on Windows Phone (with some limitations).
I still have a problem with the viewport aspect ratio that I have to fix.

I'll take this chance to make another question:
Is it possible to open a native pop up box on top of my app?
DLudwig

Limanima wrote:

SDL_net is building successfully (for most WinRT platforms, including WinPhone 8+ ones), however it's untested at runtime, at least from my end. Perhaps others have had luck with it? Regardless, if you'd like to try using it, a copy of this is available at https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdl_net.

Regarding pop-ups, SDL's message box API is working, with a caveat that there is a limitation on the number of buttons each message box can display. I believe it's two for WinPhone and three for Win 8.x, but it might be vice-versa. Any more beyond that and Windows gets angry (and doesn't display the message box).

Regarding pop-ups more complicated than simple message boxes, support for overlaying more complicated, Windows-native controls (via Windows' new-ish XAML APIs) is still pending. I've started work on this, but it's not quite ready for use just yet.

Cheers!
-- David L.
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

SDL_net is building successfully (for most WinRT platforms, including WinPhone 8+ ones), however it's untested at runtime, at least from my end. Perhaps others have had luck with it? Regardless, if you'd like to try using it, a copy of this is available at https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdl_net.

Regarding pop-ups, SDL's message box API is working, with a caveat that there is a limitation on the number of buttons each message box can display. I believe it's two for WinPhone and three for Win 8.x, but it might be vice-versa. Any more beyond that and Windows gets angry (and doesn't display the message box).

Regarding pop-ups more complicated than simple message boxes, support for overlaying more complicated, Windows-native controls (via Windows' new-ish XAML APIs) is still pending. I've started work on this, but it's not quite ready for use just yet.

Cheers!
-- David L.

That's what I'm looking for. I'll wait, no problem! Thanks!
Meldryt

update: WP8.1 & SDL_net works for me with Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2013.
I can send and receive packets from Windows 7/MacOS/iOS/Android/Linux version of my app.
Sam Lantinga

Nice! Thanks for the update! Smile

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 4:54 PM, Meldryt wrote:
Quote:
I can send and receive packets from Windows 7/MacOS/iOS/Android/Linux version of my app.

DLudwig

Yeah, this is great to hear. Thanks for the info!

Sam Lantinga wrote:
Nice! Thanks for the update! Smile

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 4:54 PM, Meldryt wrote:
Quote:
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

Cheers!
-- David L.

Hi, is there any development on this: "Windows-native controls (via Windows' new-ish XAML APIs)"
Thanks!
DLudwig

Limanima wrote:
Hi, is there any development on this: "Windows-native controls (via Windows' new-ish XAML APIs)"

There has been some development, but it has been somewhat slow going, in large part due to time constraints on my part. That being said, I do have some working, but not entirely feature-complete code ready. I don't think that it's quite ready to be pushed out to the main SDL repository, but I'd be happy to post it in a separate repo, for the time being. I could definitely use some testers on this.

If you're interested in an early version of XAML support, a few notes + warnings first:

1. rendering + event-processing is, currently, callback-driven. I.e. instead of having a typical main loop like this:

Code:

while (AppIsRunning()) {
    ProcessEvents();
    UpdateStuff();
    RenderStuff();
}

... you'll have to have an app that's callback based, and is more like this, conceptually:

Code:

void AppTick() {
    ProcessEvents();
    UpdateStuff();
    RenderStuff();
}

void AppInit() {
    /* <init sdl here, then...> */
    AddAnimationCallback(&AppTick);
}

I think that the former style will eventually be possible, but due to thread-related limitations in the XAML APIs, it's somewhat tricky.

2. keyboard input is currently non-functional. I suspect that this will work, eventually.

3. OpenGL ES rendering is currently non-function. I suspect that this will also work, eventually. SDL_Renderer support is working though.

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll plan on putting current work online at some point in the next week or two.

Cheers,
-- David L.
DLudwig

DLudwig wrote:
If you're interested in an early version of XAML support, a few notes + warnings first:

Additional notes:

4. For now, you'll have to create the XAML controls yourself (in Visual Studio, for example), then pass a pointer to the control into SDL, via SDL_CreateWindowFrom. It might be possible to eventually have SDL create a base set of XAML controls, but for now, the implementation assumes that one creates this ahead of time, either by hand, and/or through Visual Studio's XAML layout tools.

5. Support is currently limited to Windows Phone 8.1 (and Windows 8.1). It uses the "SwapChainPanel" XAML control, which was added as part of Win[Phone] 8.1.

6. Support for Windows Phone 8.0 is not available. WinPhone 8.0 used a vastly different XAML/Direct3D interop API, one that I believe has been deprecated, and is trickier to initialize from C/C++ code (than newer APIs that were introduced in Win[Phone] 8.1). I don't have any plans, as of yet, to write support for this, especially given that WinPhone 8.1's usage is now higher than WinPhone 8.0's. (Non-XAML support is still available in SDL2 for WinPhone 8.0, however.)

-- David L.
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

There has been some development, but it has been somewhat slow going, in large part due to time constraints on my part. That being said, I do have some working, but not entirely feature-complete code ready. I don't think that it's quite ready to be pushed out to the main SDL repository, but I'd be happy to post it in a separate repo, for the time being. I could definitely use some testers on this.

1. rendering + event-processing is, currently, callback-driven. I.e. instead of having a typical main loop like this:

Code:

while (AppIsRunning()) {
    ProcessEvents();
    UpdateStuff();
    RenderStuff();
}

... you'll have to have an app that's callback based, and is more like this, conceptually:

Code:

void AppTick() {
    ProcessEvents();
    UpdateStuff();
    RenderStuff();
}

void AppInit() {
}

I think that the former style will eventually be possible, but due to thread-related limitations in the XAML APIs, it's somewhat tricky.

2. keyboard input is currently non-functional. I suspect that this will work, eventually.

3. OpenGL ES rendering is currently non-function. I suspect that this will also work, eventually. SDL_Renderer support is working though.

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll plan on putting current work online at some point in the next week or two.

Cheers,
-- David L.

Well, my game fully depends on Open GL ES for rendering. My main interest in XAML controls is because I need to display a few message boxes. Maybe I can get away with the SDL message box.
My game is out for iOS and Android. I'm really interested on geting it in the Windows Phone too. It is actually working on WP, but I have some rendering issues and I'm not displaying the message boxes.
Limanima

Limanima wrote:
DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

Code:

while (AppIsRunning()) {
    ProcessEvents();
    UpdateStuff();
    RenderStuff();
}

Code:

void AppTick() {
    ProcessEvents();
    UpdateStuff();
    RenderStuff();
}

void AppInit() {
}

Cheers,
-- David L.

Well, my game fully depends on Open GL ES for rendering. My main interest in XAML controls is because I need to display a few message boxes. Maybe I can get away with the SDL message box.
My game is out for iOS and Android. I'm really interested on geting it in the Windows Phone too. It is actually working on WP, but I have some rendering issues and I'm not displaying the message boxes.

Forgot to add a few things: The main loop you described seems to be like the one in iOS. It works with a callback.
On Windows Phone I'm actually rendering using Direct3d.
asdron

Limanima, if your game depends on OpenGL ES, then you can use ANGLE. There is XAML template in repository. I ported my game to windows 8.1, using SDL and ANGLE XAML template, with xaml controls too. You could use their project template without creating SDL window, but you need add your own handlers to process touch events (and may be suspend/restore), like this
Code:
void OpenGLESPage::OnPointerPressed(Platform::Object^ sender, PointerEventArgs^ e)
{
   e->Handled = true;
   Windows::UI::Input::PointerPoint ^ point = e->CurrentPoint;
   Uint8 sdlButton = GetSDLButtonForPointer(point);

if(sdlButton != SDL_BUTTON_LEFT)
   {
      return;
   }

SDL_Event event;
   event.type = SDL_MOUSEBUTTONDOWN;
   event.button.windowID = 0;
   event.button.which = 0;
   event.button.state = SDL_PRESSED;
   event.button.button = sdlButton;
   event.button.clicks = 1;
   event.button.x = point->Position.X;
   event.button.y = point->Position.Y;
   SDL_PushEvent(&event);

LogLastMouseEvent(event);
}

One more thing, ARM builds are currently unplayable, because of some limitations - https://github.com/MSOpenTech/angle/issues/32.
Limanima

asdron wrote:
Limanima, if your game depends on OpenGL ES, then you can use ANGLE. There is XAML template in repository. I ported my game to windows 8.1, using SDL and ANGLE XAML template, with xaml controls too. You could use their project template without creating SDL window, but you need add your own handlers to process touch events (and may be suspend/restore), like this
Code:
void OpenGLESPage::OnPointerPressed(Platform::Object^ sender, PointerEventArgs^ e)
{
   e->Handled = true;
   Windows::UI::Input::PointerPoint ^ point = e->CurrentPoint;
   Uint8 sdlButton = GetSDLButtonForPointer(point);

if(sdlButton != SDL_BUTTON_LEFT)
   {
      return;
   }

SDL_Event event;
   event.type = SDL_MOUSEBUTTONDOWN;
   event.button.windowID = 0;
   event.button.which = 0;
   event.button.state = SDL_PRESSED;
   event.button.button = sdlButton;
   event.button.clicks = 1;
   event.button.x = point->Position.X;
   event.button.y = point->Position.Y;
   SDL_PushEvent(&event);

LogLastMouseEvent(event);
}

One more thing, ARM builds are currently unplayable, because of some limitations - https://github.com/MSOpenTech/angle/issues/32.

Does this problem happen with Direct3d too? I have different renderers for ioS/Android (OpenGL ES) and Windows Phone (Direct 3D)?
DLudwig

Limanima wrote:

There is limited support for SDL's message-box API in SDL/WinRT. On Windows Phone, due to platform limitations, it's currently limited to showing message boxes with two buttons, and no-colorization. If that's ok for you, then I'd say go for it. It'd probably be a lot simpler than adopting XAML. :-)

If you end up wanting/needing XAML support, I've posted my on-going work at https://bitbucket.org/davidludwig/sdl . I've added the aforementioned SDL_CreateWindowFrom() modifications, as well as a new function to setup a rendering callback from C code. That new function is, to note, 'int SDL_WinRTXAMLSetAnimationCallback(void (*callback)(void*), void *callbackParam);'. Using it should, in theory, be akin to using SDL_iPhoneSetAnimationCallback, but with less parameters.

No OpenGL support just yet, but I'll try getting to that ASAP. I have some code for that in the works, but it's not quite working just yet. I'll give it another shot in the next week or two. No guarantees though. :-/

Regarding custom rendering, in theory, it should be possible to setup Direct3D 11 independently of SDL, even with the new XAML code. Just create your swap chain, passing in the SwapChainPanel as input instead of the CoreWindow. If you could use some sample code there, there's some scattered on MSDN. SDL's D3D11 renderer (in that unofficial repo) has some as well (look for 'D3D11_CreateSwapChain'). Just note, SDL's video APIs are pretty much limited to being run on the app's UI thread for now (when using XAML support).

If you use it, and run into any problems with it, or have questions, let me know and I'll try to address them.

Cheers!
-- David L.
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

There is limited support for SDL's message-box API in SDL/WinRT. On Windows Phone, due to platform limitations, it's currently limited to showing message boxes with two buttons, and no-colorization. If that's ok for you, then I'd say go for it. It'd probably be a lot simpler than adopting XAML. :-)

If you end up wanting/needing XAML support, I've posted my on-going work at https://bitbucket.org/davidludwig/sdl . I've added the aforementioned SDL_CreateWindowFrom() modifications, as well as a new function to setup a rendering callback from C code. That new function is, to note, 'int SDL_WinRTXAMLSetAnimationCallback(void (*callback)(void*), void *callbackParam);'. Using it should, in theory, be akin to using SDL_iPhoneSetAnimationCallback, but with less parameters.

No OpenGL support just yet, but I'll try getting to that ASAP. I have some code for that in the works, but it's not quite working just yet. I'll give it another shot in the next week or two. No guarantees though. :-/

Regarding custom rendering, in theory, it should be possible to setup Direct3D 11 independently of SDL, even with the new XAML code. Just create your swap chain, passing in the SwapChainPanel as input instead of the CoreWindow. If you could use some sample code there, there's some scattered on MSDN. SDL's D3D11 renderer (in that unofficial repo) has some as well (look for 'D3D11_CreateSwapChain'). Just note, SDL's video APIs are pretty much limited to being run on the app's UI thread for now (when using XAML support).

If you use it, and run into any problems with it, or have questions, let me know and I'll try to address them.

Cheers!
-- David L.

Yes, maybe I can get away with the SDL's Message Box. I'm using message boxes to display some network errors when accessing leaderboards (which I'm not going to support in the Windows Phone version). So I guess I will not need message boxes.
I have just a few rendering bugs to solve and the game will be ready on Windows Phone too.
Limanima

Limanima wrote:
DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

Cheers!
-- David L.

Yes, maybe I can get away with the SDL's Message Box. I'm using message boxes to display some network errors when accessing leaderboards (which I'm not going to support in the Windows Phone version). So I guess I will not need message boxes.
I have just a few rendering bugs to solve and the game will be ready on Windows Phone too.

Now I remember why I *really* need xaml! I want to integrate Google AdMob on Windows Phone too (I already have AdMob working on iOS/Android).
Do you think it will be possible to integrate that? I'm almost sure I will have to go the xaml way.
DLudwig

Limanima wrote:
Now I remember why I *really* need xaml! I want to integrate Google AdMob on Windows Phone too (I already have AdMob working on iOS/Android).
Do you think it will be possible to integrate that? I'm almost sure I will have to go the xaml way.

Maybe? I've never worked with AdMob on Windows Phone before, and can't tell if it'll work or not.

My guess is that if AdMob works fine with a SwapChainPanel, it'll work fine with what I'm working on. I vaguely recall someone at Microsoft saying, via a Github-hosted site for ANGLE/WinRT, that ANGLE + SwapChainPanel + AdMob worked for them, but I'm not certain of that.

-- David L.
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

Maybe? I've never worked with AdMob on Windows Phone before, and can't tell if it'll work or not.

My guess is that if AdMob works fine with a SwapChainPanel, it'll work fine with what I'm working on. I vaguely recall someone at Microsoft saying, via a Github-hosted site for ANGLE/WinRT, that ANGLE + SwapChainPanel + AdMob worked for them, but I'm not certain of that.

-- David L.

I'm going to take a look at the AdMob api for Windows Phone. I have no idea how that works.
Limanima

Limanima wrote:
DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

-- David L.

I'm going to take a look at the AdMob api for Windows Phone. I have no idea how that works.

Alright, the AdMob is API is a C# component. It's seems to be very easy to integrate, and only a few lines of code are needed.

Here is the code:

AdView bannerAd = new AdView
{
Format = AdFormats.BANNER,
AdUnitID = "MY_AD_UNIT_ID"
};
AdRequest adRequest = new AdRequest();
// Assumes we've defined a Grid that has a name
// directive of ContentPanel.
ContentPanel.Children.Add(bannerAd);
bannerAd.LoadAd(adRequest);

It seems that the ad is displayed in a web browser control that has to be attached to a xaml control.
My doubts with this are:

-Is is possible to call C# code from c++?
-Can I have access to any child control created by SDL that I can use to attach the AdView?

I have this feeling that it will be hard to make this work.
For starters a regular c++ project will not suffice. I'll have to create a C# XAML app. I'm unable to add a reference to the C# AdMob component from a c++ project.
There's a project template in VS 2013 that creates a C# XMAL app that uses Direct 3D thru a C++ component, so I guess it will be possible to use SDL with a c# app.
DLudwig

Limanima wrote:
Alright, the AdMob is API is a C# component. It's seems to be very easy to integrate, and only a few lines of code are needed.

Limanima wrote:
It seems that the ad is displayed in a web browser control that has to be attached to a xaml control.
My doubts with this are:

-Can I have access to any child control created by SDL that I can use to attach the AdView?

I have this feeling that it will be hard to make this work.
For starters a regular c++ project will not suffice. I'll have to create a C# XAML app. I'm unable to add a reference to the C# AdMob component from a c++ project.
There's a project template in VS 2013 that creates a C# XMAL app that uses Direct 3D thru a C++ component, so I guess it will be possible to use SDL with a c# app.

A few notes on this:

1. Their sample code is in C#, but Microsoft's most recent XAML framework, on Windows Phone 8.1, allows controls to be written in one of a few languages (that WinRT supports), then lets any WinRT language use them. Assuming the AdMob API uses WinRT XAML, and not an older, non-WinRT iteration of XAML, you might just be able to create and include the control from C++. (I.e. within WinRT, it is possible to do cross-language calls, but I suspect it's possible to integrate an SDK like this without doing such, although I might be mistaken. :-/ )

2. My current SDL/WinRT+XAML work doesn't do anything, per-se, to create XAML controls. It currently requires that a 'SwapChainPanel' XAML control be created first, then it allows SDL to work with it. I.e. in this case, for the time being, you could create the controls yourself, then hook up SDL to the appropriate one.

Make sense?
asdron

Limanima wrote:

Yes, you can call c# code from your main c++ project. Just put all your c# code into "C# Windows Runtime Component project" and then link it to your main c++ project. Also with this schema you could work with c# library xaml controls from c++ (like adding it to your page, etc.).
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:

A few notes on this:

1. Their sample code is in C#, but Microsoft's most recent XAML framework, on Windows Phone 8.1, allows controls to be written in one of a few languages (that WinRT supports), then lets any WinRT language use them. Assuming the AdMob API uses WinRT XAML, and not an older, non-WinRT iteration of XAML, you might just be able to create and include the control from C++. (I.e. within WinRT, it is possible to do cross-language calls, but I suspect it's possible to integrate an SDK like this without doing such, although I might be mistaken. :-/ )

2. My current SDL/WinRT+XAML work doesn't do anything, per-se, to create XAML controls. It currently requires that a 'SwapChainPanel' XAML control be created first, then it allows SDL to work with it. I.e. in this case, for the time being, you could create the controls yourself, then hook up SDL to the appropriate one.

Make sense?

It probably does! Very Happy
I've downloaded your SDL source and I'm going to download the SDLWinRTTestApp and run a few tests.
DLudwig

Limanima wrote:
I've downloaded your SDL source and I'm going to download the SDLWinRTTestApp and run a few tests.

SDLWinRTTestApp doesn't yet have XAML test code in it. It's also got a lot of cruft, largely used by me to test various things in and around SDL.

I've posted a simpler, XAML-specific, skeleton project at: https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdlskeletonxaml81 . It's basically MSVC's Universal (for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1) "Blank App" template, with a few minor modifications, and a tiny bit of sample SDL code. When run, it'll attempt to use SDL to clear the screen to a solid green color.

Cheers!
-- David L.
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

SDLWinRTTestApp doesn't yet have XAML test code in it. It's also got a lot of cruft, largely used by me to test various things in and around SDL.

I've posted a simpler, XAML-specific, skeleton project at: https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdlskeletonxaml81 . It's basically MSVC's Universal (for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1) "Blank App" template, with a few minor modifications, and a tiny bit of sample SDL code. When run, it'll attempt to use SDL to clear the screen to a solid green color.

Cheers!
-- David L.

I'm checking that out as we speak. Thanks!
Limanima

Limanima wrote:
DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

Cheers!
-- David L.

I'm checking that out as we speak. Thanks!

Alright, I think I'm on the right path. Your template was of much help.
I had to do a few things though. Update from VS2012 to VS2013. My projects were targeting wp 8.0, I had to create new ones to target wp 8.1.
I'm starting to get this xaml thing.
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:
Limanima wrote:

Cheers!
-- David L.

I've been quite busy between my website, supporting my just released game, getting my other game ready to be released on Steam that I almost have no time to get back to this.
But I've made a few tests, but I'm unable to get the thing to work.
SDL_CreateRenderer is failing. I've tried it on your template project and it is also failing with the same error. I've stepped into SDL_CreateRenderer and the function that is failing is IDXGIFactory2_CreateSwapChainForComposition.
This is the error message(hresult=0x887a0001)

"The application made a call that is invalid. Either the parameters of the call or the state of some object was incorrect.\r\nEnable the D3D debug layer in order to see details via debug messages"

I've already enabled d3d debug layer but I can't see any additional information.

I'm running a ARM build on a Lumia 520. Not sure if that matters. Any ideas?
DLudwig

Limanima wrote:

What version of Windows Phone do you have on the 520? Is it 8.1 or above?

Also, what revision of the code are you at (in Mercurial)?
DLudwig

One more question: do you get the same error when running in one of the Windows Phone emulators? If so, which revision of Windows Phone are you emulating (8.0? 8.1? etc.)
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:

DLudwig wrote:

What version of Windows Phone do you have on the 520? Is it 8.1 or above?
Also, what revision of the code are you at (in Mercurial)?

One more question: do you get the same error when running in one of the Windows Phone emulators? If so, which revision of Windows Phone are you emulating (8.0? 8.1? etc.)

-The version on the lumia is 8.1.
-I've downloaded the version from your repository
-I'm unable to run the emulators. I get some Hyper-V error. I'm not sure if this happens in all emulators because I'm almost sure I've runned some emulators in the past on the same pc. I'm going to try them all when I get home.

I have a few more ideas to try out.
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:

What revision of the code should I use? Is the zip in mercurial updated or should I clone the whole repository?
There are functions missing in the zip file.
DLudwig

Limanima wrote:
What revision of the code should I use? Is the zip in mercurial updated or should I clone the whole repository?
There are functions missing in the zip file.

I'd recommend cloning, and occasionally pulling-from, the latest revision of the repository, and using whatever the head is from there. The .zip file download is something that Bitbucket adds, and isn't something I've ever tested.

If you run into missing stuff in a cloned version of the repo, let me know and I'll take a look into it.

Cheers,
-- David L.
Limanima

DLudwig wrote:

I'd recommend cloning, and occasionally pulling-from, the latest revision of the repository, and using whatever the head is from there. The .zip file download is something that Bitbucket adds, and isn't something I've ever tested.

If you run into missing stuff in a cloned version of the repo, let me know and I'll take a look into it.

Cheers,
-- David L.

Sorry my ignorance, but what is the link I should use to clone the repo?
I'm using Source Tree and the url https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/. I also tried https://hg.libsdl.org/.
DLudwig

Limanima wrote:
Sorry my ignorance, but what is the link I should use to clone the repo?
I'm using Source Tree and the url https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/. I also tried https://hg.libsdl.org/.

My experimental / in-development / possibly-unstable XAML fork can be cloned from https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/SDL

If you (or anyone else reading this) doesn't need WinRT+XAML integration yet (it's still pretty buggy), but does need WinRT support, then I'd recommend using SDL's main repo at https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL

Cheers,
-- David L.
DLudwig

Limanima wrote:
SDL_CreateRenderer is failing. I've tried it on your template project and it is also failing with the same error. I've stepped into SDL_CreateRenderer and the function that is failing is IDXGIFactory2_CreateSwapChainForComposition.
This is the error message(hresult=0x887a0001)

"The application made a call that is invalid. Either the parameters of the call or the state of some object was incorrect.\r\nEnable the D3D debug layer in order to see details via debug messages"

I've already enabled d3d debug layer but I can't see any additional information.

Hi again,

An update: I tried running an SDL-based XAML app on a Lumia 520 running WP 8.1 (w/ the Cyan update), and was unable to reproduce this bug. This was done using the latest code from my development repo (up on Bitbucket). If you're able to try that code, and are still getting errors, feel free to send over some sample code, and I'll see if I can get the bug to reproduce on my end, and if a fix might be available.

Cheers,
-- David L.
Trying to get OpenGL ES to work through ANGLE
T-Bone

Hi! I've been trying to get OpenGL ES to work with SDL for Windows Apps through ANGLE, but I'm having issues. Here's what I did:

1. Made a Universal App DirectX project
2. Followed the instructions here very carefully. I'm using SDL 2.0.4-9304. So far so good, SDL apps using the SDL renderer seem to work fine.
3. Changed the main.cpp to the Gears example
4. Downloaded ANGLE from Microsoft's Open Tech (the master branch) and compiled it for all the platforms/configurations.
5. Took the libEGL.dll and libGLESv2.dll files, as well as all the .lib files, and placed them in the project. Made sure that Visual Studio only includes the right ones for each build by setting their "Content" value to "Yes" only for their correct builds.
6. Made the linker check the .lib files by Project -> Properties -> Linker -> Input -> "Additional Dependencies" and added the relative paths to the .lib files.
7. Compiled and tried to run it

It does compile, and I can see that the .dll files are being included in the AppX folder, and if I remove the .dll files then I get a runtime exception saying that it couldn't find the .dll files. So that's a good sign! When I do include them, the app starts (I can see the splash screen) but then instantly quits itself. Here's the output:
Code:

'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\l-veftw\LoveFTW\x64\Release\LoveFTW.Windows\AppX\LoveFTW.Windows.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\l-veftw\LoveFTW\x64\Release\LoveFTW.Windows\AppX\libGLESv2.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\l-veftw\LoveFTW\x64\Release\LoveFTW.Windows\AppX\SDL2.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\vccorlib120_app.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcr120_app.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcp120_app.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\d3d11.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\D3DCompiler_47.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\XInput1_4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\XAudio2_8.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dxgi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cryptsp.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\devobj.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\avrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0x1574 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cryptbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\twinapi.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\WinTypes.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\SHCore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rsaenh.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcrypt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\actxprxy.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\MrmCoreR.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\BCP47Langs.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ninput.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.Graphics.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\twinapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\threadpoolwinrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\l-veftw\LoveFTW\x64\Release\LoveFTW.Windows\AppX\libEGL.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\l-veftw\LoveFTW\x64\Release\LoveFTW.Windows\AppX\libEGL.dll'
INFO: Unable to create window: Could not get EGL display
The thread 0x1be8 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x1428 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x1184 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x1390 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x1a0c has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xd84 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[6304] LoveFTW.Windows.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

As far as I know, "Cannot find or open the PDB file." is never an error that breaks an application, it just means you can't debug those things, which is fine by me. So the only clue as to what's going on that I can see is the line "INFO: Unable to create window: Could not get EGL display", which, as far as I can tell, means that SDL_CreateWindow failed. I assume something is wrong with how I'm using ANGLE, but I can't figure out what.

Any help is highly appreciated, and if there's any more info I can provide that will help, just say so. Thanks!
Re: Trying to get OpenGL ES to work through ANGLE
DLudwig

T-Bone wrote:
Hi! I've been trying to get OpenGL ES to work with SDL for Windows Apps through ANGLE, but I'm having issues. Here's what I did:

2. Followed the instructions here very carefully. I'm using SDL 2.0.4-9304. So far so good, SDL apps using the SDL renderer seem to work fine.

T-Bone wrote:
As far as I know, "Cannot find or open the PDB file." is never an error that breaks an application, it just means you can't debug those things, which is fine by me. So the only clue as to what's going on that I can see is the line "INFO: Unable to create window: Could not get EGL display", which, as far as I can tell, means that SDL_CreateWindow failed. I assume something is wrong with how I'm using ANGLE, but I can't figure out what.

Any help is highly appreciated, and if there's any more info I can provide that will help, just say so. Thanks!

Any chance you could try the latest code from SDL HG? The WinRT-specific OpenGL init code has been updated since 9304, in order to support a wider range of devices + OS-versions.

Cheers,
-- David L.
T-Bone

Ah, thanks! I didn't see that https://www.libsdl.org/hg.php was out of date. I'll try that.
T-Bone

I tried using the latest build from Mercurial (1bc5372ee27f) and I get the same result. The only difference I can see is that SDL_GetError() now returns "Could not get 10_0+ EGL display" instead of just "Could not get EGL display". I'll try messing with it a bit more, but any suggestions are welcome Smile
DLudwig

T-Bone wrote:
I tried using the latest build from Mercurial (1bc5372ee27f) and I get the same result. The only difference I can see is that SDL_GetError() now returns "Could not get 10_0+ EGL display" instead of just "Could not get EGL display". I'll try messing with it a bit more, but any suggestions are welcome Smile

Do you know what revision of ANGLE you're using? If not, maybe try the latest from the "ms-master" branch at https://github.com/msopentech/angle ?

-- David L.
T-Bone

I'm using the latest ANGLE from the ms-master branch. I redownloaded it and rebuilt it, just in case. Made no difference Confused
DLudwig

T-Bone wrote:
I'm using the latest ANGLE from the ms-master branch. I redownloaded it and rebuilt it, just in case. Made no difference Confused

Huh, ok. I'm almost stumped now. A few of the changes I made recently were done to address a few enum values being changed in the ms-master branch. If and when a slightly older version of ANGLE was used (with the older enum values), I believe you'd get the error that you listed ("Could not get 10_0+ EGL display").

Do you know if the .dlls from the newest copy of ANGLE/ms-master are getting built, and if so, are getting copied into the AppX bundle? I've seen MSVC act somewhat wonky here, when external projects get updated. It won't always rebuild and reinstall the new stuff.

-- David L.
T-Bone

DLudwig wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Huh, ok. I'm almost stumped now. A few of the changes I made recently were done to address a few enum values being changed in the ms-master branch. If and when a slightly older version of ANGLE was used (with the older enum values), I believe you'd get the error that you listed ("Could not get 10_0+ EGL display").

Do you know if the .dlls from the newest copy of ANGLE/ms-master are getting built, and if so, are getting copied into the AppX bundle? I've seen MSVC act somewhat wonky here, when external projects get updated. It won't always rebuild and reinstall the new stuff.

-- David L.

I have built the ANGLE dlls manually (just opening winrt/8.1/windows/src/angle.sln and hitting "Build" for the various configurations). Then those .dlls and .libs are placed in the project, and set as "Content" for their configurations. This makes them copy to the AppX folder (I've checked, they're there). So I don't think it's that.

I need some sleep now Razz Hopefully a new day will come with new ideas. Cheers!
DLudwig

T-Bone wrote:
I have built the ANGLE dlls manually (just opening winrt/8.1/windows/src/angle.sln and hitting "Build" for the various configurations). Then those .dlls and .libs are placed in the project, and set as "Content" for their configurations. This makes them copy to the AppX folder (I've checked, they're there). So I don't think it's that.

I need some sleep now Razz Hopefully a new day will come with new ideas. Cheers!

Odd. Good luck tomorrow.

If you get a chance, maybe try doing a clean build on everything at least once. Beyond that, I don't have much advice, other than stepping into ANGLE's code to see why it fails.

Cheers!
-- David L.
DLudwig

Uuuuugh. Nevermind. I know why it's failing. A few, key enums changed values again. Looks like it happened via this merge: https://github.com/MSOpenTech/angle/commit/bbd2eb0a9c453a941f2c7abacf616d5a66b6be92#diff-d1377fbe747de154e1bfcf7221d3de67

I'm pretty sure I can fix this. More to come...

-- David L.
DLudwig

DLudwig wrote:
Uuuuugh. Nevermind. I know why it's failing. A few, key enums changed values again. Looks like it happened via this merge: https://github.com/MSOpenTech/angle/commit/bbd2eb0a9c453a941f2c7abacf616d5a66b6be92#diff-d1377fbe747de154e1bfcf7221d3de67

I'm pretty sure I can fix this. More to come...

Ok, fixed, I think... I hope. The fix is up at https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/rev/65e802af5d0e

Cheers!
-- David L.
T-Bone

Yup, that was it! It works now! Thanks so much for your help, and I'm glad I helped identifying the issue Laughing
Landscape support on WP
T-Bone

I'm having issues when running SDL in landscape for Windows Phone (Windows for computer/tablets have none of these issues as far as I can tell). I'm using ANGLE, so the issue could be related to that as well. When running both my own application, and the GL Gears demo in lanscape, it looks like this:

http://1drv.ms/1Gz8up2

or this:

http://1drv.ms/1Gz8yFi

Depending on if the app is set to only support Landscape, or if it supports both Landscape and Portrait. Eveyrhting seems to work fine in Portrait mode though.

I'm running the latest versions of both SDL and ANGLE, and the Gears demo is taken straight off https://gist.githubusercontent.com/DavidLudwig/d0307b81aab7f84b24e3/raw/20f4b8ea87039ee9f9466854c78449d113635b76/sdl2gles2gears.c

Thanks again for a phenomenal port and support!
Re: Landscape support on WP
DLudwig

T-Bone wrote:
I'm having issues when running SDL in landscape for Windows Phone (Windows for computer/tablets have none of these issues as far as I can tell). I'm using ANGLE, so the issue could be related to that as well.

I believe the issue is a combination of ANGLE and Windows itself. See https://github.com/MSOpenTech/angle/issues/25 for detail.

To note, SDL's non-XAML backend is roughly analogous to ANGLE's 'UniversalCoreWindow' code. In that case, using MS-OpenTech's suggested workaround may be useful (rotate all content before drawing it, at least on WinRT).

I'll make a note to try integrating this workaround into the GLES2 Gears demo. I'm pretty busy with other stuff at the moment, unfortunately, and might not be able to get to it for a few weeks though. Sad

-- David L.
On-screen Keyboard
Malkierian

So, for now, I gather that the on-screen keyboard is not functioning on WP (since SDL_HasScreenKeyboardSupport() returns false). Is there anything I can do to speed the implementation of this feature? It's rather crucial to my port of OpenTyrian.
Re: On-screen Keyboard
DLudwig

Malkierian wrote:
So, for now, I gather that the on-screen keyboard is not functioning on WP (since SDL_HasScreenKeyboardSupport() returns false). Is there anything I can do to speed the implementation of this feature? It's rather crucial to my port of OpenTyrian.

Patches would be welcomed. :-)

To note, I'm not certain it would be possible to do this without using WinRT's XAML APIs. I have experimental support for XAML-integration at https://bitbucket.org/davidludwig/sdl, which you're welcome to try using, at your own risk. I haven't tried adding on-screen keyboard support yet, and am not entirely sure how possible it'll be. Warning: I have read that bringing up an on-screen keyboard might require setting a control's focus via touch, rather than programmatically (from https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9d6bb336-c519-48e5-82a4-5accb489f158/entering-text-in-windows-8-in-cmonogame-app?forum=winappswithcsharp )

Cheers!
-- David L.
Malkierian

Hmm... Then I guess that the next option would be to create a custom keyboard. It likely wouldn't be able to utilize dictionary functionality, but most probably don't need it. Which do you think would be more work?
DLudwig

Malkierian wrote:
Hmm... Then I guess that the next option would be to create a custom keyboard. It likely wouldn't be able to utilize dictionary functionality, but most probably don't need it. Which do you think would be more work?

That's a hard call. It depends on what you need, really.

I do suspect that on-screen keyboard support will eventually make it into the XAML integration I'm working on, but what I'm not sure is whether or not it'll be possible to pop up the keyboard via programmatic means. One might have to display an OS-native text box first, which a user would have to click on. I'm not sure of this yet, though.

-- David L.
Malkierian

Oh, man, that's an ugly solution to think about... But, if it's the best we can do, I'll have to make do.
T-Bone

DLudwig wrote: T-Bone wrote: I'm using the latest ANGLE from the ms-master branch. I redownloaded it and rebuilt it, just in case. Made no difference
Huh, ok. I'm almost stumped now. A few of the changes I made recently were done to address a few enum values being changed in the ms-master branch. If and when a slightly older version of ANGLE was used (with the older enum values), I believe you'd get the error that you listed ("Could not get 10_0+ EGL display"). Do you know if the .dlls from the newest copy of ANGLE/ms-master are getting built, and if so, are getting copied into the AppX bundle? I've seen MSVC act somewhat wonky here, when external projects get updated. It won't always rebuild and reinstall the new stuff. -- David L.
I have built the ANGLE dlls manually (just opening winrt/8.1/windows/src/angle.sln and hitting "Build" for the various configurations). Then those .dlls and .libs are placed in the project, and set as "Content" for their configurations. This makes them copy to the AppX folder (I've checked, they're there). So I don't think it's that. I need some sleep now Hopefully a new day will come with new ideas. Cheers!
T-Bone

Hi! I've been trying to get OpenGL ES to work with SDL for Windows Apps through ANGLE, but I'm having issues. Here's what I did: 1. Made a Universal App DirectX project 2. Followed the instructions here very carefully. I'm using SDL 2.0.4-9304. So far so good, SDL apps using the SDL renderer seem to work fine. 3. Changed the main.cpp to the Gears example 4. Downloaded ANGLE from Microsoft's Open Tech (the master branch) and compiled it for all the platforms/configurations. 5. Took the libEGL.dll and libGLESv2.dll files, as well as all the .lib files, and placed them in the project. Made sure that Visual Studio only includes the right ones for each build by setting their "Content" value to "Yes" only for their correct builds. 6. Made the linker check the .lib files by Project -> Properties -> Linker -> Input -> "Additional Dependencies" and added the relative paths to the .lib files. 7. Compiled and tried to run it It does compile, and I can see that the .dll files are being included in the AppX folder, and if I remove the .dll files then I get a runtime exception saying that it couldn't find the .dll files. So that's a good sign! When I do include them, the app starts (I can see the splash screen) but then instantly quits itself. Here's the output: Code: 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\l-veftw\LoveFTW\x64\Release\LoveFTW.Windows\AppX\LoveFTW.Windows.exe'. Symbols loaded. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\l-veftw\LoveFTW\x64\Release\LoveFTW.Windows\AppX\libGLESv2.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\l-veftw\LoveFTW\x64\Release\LoveFTW.Windows\AppX\SDL2.dll'. Symbols loaded. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\vccorlib120_app.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcr120_app.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00_12.0.21005.1_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcp120_app.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\d3d11.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\D3DCompiler_47.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\XInput1_4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\XAudio2_8.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dxgi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cryptsp.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\devobj.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\avrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. The thread 0x1574 has exited with code 0 (0x0). 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\cryptbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\twinapi.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\WinTypes.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\SHCore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rsaenh.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcrypt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\actxprxy.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\MrmCoreR.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\BCP47Langs.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ninput.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.Graphics.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\twinapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\threadpoolwinrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\l-veftw\LoveFTW\x64\Release\LoveFTW.Windows\AppX\libEGL.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file. 'LoveFTW.Windows.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Users\Martin\Documents\l-veftw\LoveFTW\x64\Release\LoveFTW.Windows\AppX\libEGL.dll' INFO: Unable to create window: Could not get EGL display The thread 0x1be8 has exited with code 0 (0x0). The thread 0x1428 has exited with code 0 (0x0). The thread 0x1184 has exited with code 0 (0x0). The thread 0x1390 has exited with code 0 (0x0). The thread 0x1a0c has exited with code 0 (0x0). The thread 0xd84 has exited with code 0 (0x0). The program '[6304] LoveFTW.Windows.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
As far as I know, "Cannot find or open the PDB file." is never an error that breaks an application, it just means you can't debug those things, which is fine by me. So the only clue as to what's going on that I can see is the line "INFO: Unable to create window: Could not get EGL display", which, as far as I can tell, means that SDL_CreateWindow failed. I assume something is wrong with how I'm using ANGLE, but I can't figure out what. Any help is highly appreciated, and if there's any more info I can provide that will help, just say so. Thanks!
T-Bone

I'm using the latest ANGLE from the ms-master branch. I redownloaded it and rebuilt it, just in case. Made no difference
T-Bone

Yup, that was it! It works now! Thanks so much for your help, and I'm glad I helped identifying the issue
T-Bone

I tried using the latest build from Mercurial (1bc5372ee27f) and I get the same result. The only difference I can see is that SDL_GetError() now returns "Could not get 10_0+ EGL display" instead of just "Could not get EGL display". I'll try messing with it a bit more, but any suggestions are welcome
T-Bone

Ah, thanks! I didn't see that https://www.libsdl.org/hg.php was out of date. I'll try that.
Malkierian

DLudwig wrote:
Malkierian wrote:

That's a hard call. It depends on what you need, really.

I do suspect that on-screen keyboard support will eventually make it into the XAML integration I'm working on, but what I'm not sure is whether or not it'll be possible to pop up the keyboard via programmatic means. One might have to display an OS-native text box first, which a user would have to click on. I'm not sure of this yet, though.

-- David L.

By the way, how easy will it be to port a non-XAML project to the XAML-enabled setup once you get that side of it working? I'm guessing most code will run as-is, and it will just require changing the SDL library files and the main WP source file, right?
T-Bone

The forums seem to have bugged a bit, and all my posts have been posted again. There doesn't seem to be a way for me to remove them.
Jared Maddox

Quote:
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 02:41:12 +0000
To:
Subject: Re: [SDL] Windows Phone 8 SDL support
Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

So, for now, I gather that the on-screen keyboard is not functioning on WP
(since SDL_HasScreenKeyboardSupport() returns false). Is there anything I
can do to speed the implementation of this feature? It's rather crucial to
my port of OpenTyrian.

You could try to help (e.g. testing) implementing it (or pay someone
else to if you're rich). Think of it as a form of debugging your port.

Limanima

DLudwig wrote:
Thanks for the info, Sylvain! I'm on vacation, and my net access has been limited, otherwise I would've replied earlier. :-)

Limited support for SDL, SDL_mixer, and SDL_image is available for Windows Phone 8.0 and Windows Phone 8.1, as well as other platforms in the "WinRT" family (Windows 8.0, 8.1, and RT, inclusive). On Windows Phone, SDL support is currently limited to apps that don't use Windows Phone's native "XAML" based UI controls. Apps that only draw content, and process input with SDL should, however, be fine.

Here are a bunch of notes that I hope will help:

Regarding build environments: a copy of Visual C++ is required, at present. One of the free (cost-wise), "Express" editions should suffice.

The Windows Phone ports of SDL_mixer and SDL_image support a limited number of formats. Notably-supported formats include PNG, Jpeg, WebP, and Ogg Vorbis. If one of SDL_image or SDL_mixer's usual file formats isn't supported on Windows Phone (such as .mod, MIDI, and a bunch of others) and you need it, feel free to let me know and I'll try adding it in.

Support for SDL_net on Windows Phone is not currently available, but in theory, could be possible. I can provide skeleton project files for such, if you'd like to try to get this up and running. Do note that such a port wouldn't immediately work on Windows 8/8.1/RT, due to API limitations in the OS (assuming you're interested in porting your app to those platforms as well, at some point).

Some limited documentation is available at http://bit.ly/1zVi3bC. Do note that it's geared towards setting up a Windows 8 app, however the instructions for Windows Phone 8 are almost identical. Just be sure to start with Visual C++'s project files for Windows Phone 8, rather than the "Windows Store" app templates (which apply to Windows 8.x, and not Windows Phone).

Work on easier setup procedures (for SDL/Windows Phone apps) is on my to-do list (and will probably involve NuGet package management support, if possible), however I make no guarantees when that'll be available. It won't start until I get back from vacation and get settled back in, which shouldn't be for another couple of weeks, at best. Feel free to ask questions in the meantime, if you run into trouble. :-)

Cheers!
- David L.

Limanima wrote:
slvn wrote:
Hello,

Cheers,
Sylvain

Thanks! Very Happy

Hi!
After some time away, I'm back. I've released my SDL game (android and ios) and now I'm back and try to get it to work on WP.
It's been about a year I've been gone, but from what I remember there was a few issues with WP implementation with XAML.
David Ludwig, if you read this, can I get the latest version from your bitbucket repositor, or has it been merged with the main SDL mercurial repository?