The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Does SDL 2.0 Work with Apple/IOS Phones and tablets?
Timodor

Do I need a mac for it to work? Is it complex to setup?

Totally clues about Mac's, Only turned one on about year ago, and realized it was Linux/Unix with Copyright Software , like the Microsoft of Unix.

I have a game built on Android, using SDL 2.0 and C++, I want to port it over to IOS. But I'm clueless with Apple.

I though maybe I could use my PC to code for the IOS, seems like no. I might have to buy a cheap Mac Mini.
mr_tawan

Quote:

It's one of the supported platform, yes.

Quote:

I haven't tried as I don't have both mac and iOS devices. But usually writing iOS app requires a mac, so Yes you need one.

Quote:
Totally clues about Mac's, Only turned one on about year ago, and realized it was Linux/Unix with Copyright Software , like the Microsoft of Unix.

To be exact, Mac OSX and iOS are based on BSD (OS9 and any versions before are not). By the way, every software are copyrighted. I guess in this context you mean 'commercial' software. Mac OSX itself is also a commercial software. BSD license allows a derivative software to be commercial (PS3 OS is also based on BSD).

Quote:
I have a game built on Android, using SDL 2.0 and C++, I want to port it over to IOS. But I'm clueless with Apple.

I though maybe I could use my PC to code for the IOS, seems like no. I might have to buy a cheap Mac Mini.

Yes you need to buy a Mac, and also a iOS developer license ($100 a year I believe). If you can bear headaches, you could also install OSX in a PC (so called 'Hackintosh'). Doing so violates the EULA, by the way. I think it does not worth the headaches.
Jeffrey Carpenter

Greetings,

Yes, SDL2 does run on Apple's iOS platform; iPhone & iPad.

Yes, you are required to have a mac workstation setup. Technically speaking, this might not be true, but good luck on figuring out all the details! It isn't worth it. At any rate, no, it isn't complicated at all to setup on a mac workstation -- this is where I feel like Apple excels best at. Mac Mini is definitely a good bet.

Although it is expected that you use Apple's XCode (IDE) to build the software, it is not strictly necessary, as you can do everything from the command line, if you so desire (using the XCode tool-chain in part). However, if you were to desire the command line approach, I would still suggest getting comfortable with the official route first, as there are several steps that XCode takes care of you that you otherwise must do.

Indeed, I felt much the same when I first ventured into OS X land myself, straight from being a long-time user of various Linux distributions.

I've built a prototype CMake build script for SDL2 and iOS [1], and although it is a bit messy, I hope you will find some helpful information in it. The precise build script I used for SDL2, SDL2_image and SDL2_ttf [2].

1. https://github.com/i8degrees/hello-sdl2-ios-cmake
2. http://pastebin.com/yADa0R7f

P.S. A sincere congratulations on having built a game!

Cheers,
Jeffrey Carpenter

On 2014/04/ 10, at 4:03, Timodor wrote:

Quote:

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org