The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Identify Joystick Axis Type
damlock

Dear All,

SDL identifies the axis with an index. Usually index=0 is the X axis and 1 is the Y. The other Axis (Z,RX,RY,RZ and Slider) have not a fixed index and from the documentation of Joystick I've found no function that allows to identify the axis type from the index. For example in one joystick the index 2 is the Z in other joysticks is RX.

I've had a look at the SDL source code (function AddHIDElement) and see that the following switch statement allocates a new axis but it seems to discard the "usage" axis information:

case kIOHIDElementTypeInput_Axis: {
switch (usagePage) { /* only interested in kHIDPage_GenericDesktop and kHIDPage_Button */
case kHIDPage_GenericDesktop:
switch (usage) {
case kHIDUsage_GD_X:
case kHIDUsage_GD_Y:
case kHIDUsage_GD_Z:
case kHIDUsage_GD_Rx:
case kHIDUsage_GD_Ry:
case kHIDUsage_GD_Rz:
case kHIDUsage_GD_Slider:
case kHIDUsage_GD_Dial:
case kHIDUsage_GD_Wheel:
if (!ElementAlreadyAdded(cookie, pDevice->firstAxis)) {
element = (recElement *) SDL_calloc(1, sizeof (recElement));
if (element) {
pDevice->axes++;
headElement = &(pDevice->firstAxis);
}
}
break;

Is my analysis correct? If yes, I think adding the "usage" can be a very useful feature to add in future SDL releases, for example including in the event the property axisenum (example: e.jaxis.axisenum) to get the event axis type. This will allow the developer to setup a default joystick configuration that immediately works without doing any manual mapping (for example a flight simulator can immediately work with the basic axis types: X,Y,RZ and Slider.)

Thanks for your time and keep up the wonderful work with SDL!! Smile
bram

Have you see the Game Controller API?
https://wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryGameController

It will give you the usage information you require.
You can test for things like:

SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_LEFTX
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_LEFTY
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_RIGHTX
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_RIGHTY
SDL_CONTROLLER_AXIS_TRIGGERLEFT
...etc