The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Force Feedback not working at all?
Zolcos

I have a variety of controllers opened through SDL_Joystick (reading input works fine) and have opened haptics for them through SDL_HapticOpenFromJoystick. My code does extensive feature detection and error checking, and from the SDL function return values, everything appears to be working and features are detected correctly. I try running a small test effect of every type on every controller: Gamepads appear to support Rumble, LEFTRIGHT, and CUSTOM; my wheel supports everything except Rumble; my stick and throttle have no haptics, as expected.

However, I never actually get any force feedback, despite successful return codes. Even with max strength (UINT16_MAX for LEFTRIGHT, 1.0 for Rumble) and length of 1000, nothing happens on any of them. Force feedback on these controllers does work in games.
I am using SDL 2.0.5. What are some things I could be doing wrong?
Zolcos

On someone's advice I tried running the same code on another PC and it didn't work there either. Input is fine but no force feedback.