The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Android, iOS
Jack Andrews

Hi guys,

The thread on WinXP prompts me to ask about devices and "the future".  I haven't tried SDL on my phone yet (I have no experience developing for android/iOS). 

I imagine that SDL is suited to the small screen where each app seems to have a different look and feel.

I notice SDL_ttf builds on android/ios - does anyone use cairo or pango on devices?  Is there any FOSS UI lib that you'd consider an alternative to SDL for small to large hardware?

Or should a UI be custom on each platform?  I guess that's proved to be not the case on laptops and desktops..

jack.
Android, iOS
Ben Henning

I could be wrong about a few of these things, but as I understand SDL likely just uses OpenGL when rendering on iOS/Android. You can retrieve context information about the GL context from SDL, so any GUI system that can render using OpenGL is interoperable with SDL. In terms of getting input, SDL makes it pretty easy to poll for input agnostic of platform and piping that over to a UI system is generally pretty simple. If you're interested in a higher level UI library or perhaps the UI library built into Android/iOS, I'm not really sure how easy/hard that would be to interoperate with SDL. I get a bit lost at that point. Smile

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 8:49 PM, Jack Andrews wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

The thread on WinXP prompts me to ask about devices and "the future".  I haven't tried SDL on my phone yet (I have no experience developing for android/iOS). 

I imagine that SDL is suited to the small screen where each app seems to have a different look and feel.

I notice SDL_ttf builds on android/ios - does anyone use cairo or pango on devices?  Is there any FOSS UI lib that you'd consider an alternative to SDL for small to large hardware?

Or should a UI be custom on each platform?  I guess that's proved to be not the case on laptops and desktops..

jack.

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Android, iOS
ancientli

SDL can be used for mobile devices and PC. Mobile devices include small screen mobile phones and large screen Pad.

SDL just provides a low level API, like the rendered image. You need to write a window system to get it to adapt to all the devices. I am sure that the system can be completed, and it can be achieved very well. 

For the rendering of the image, the latest app based SDL have suggested using GPU. To Android and iOS, that is OpenGL ES2.  

By the way, I am writing a SDK based SDL(https://github.com/freeors/Rose), I have used it to write several app, these app can run on iOS(Phones/Pad), Android(Phones/Pad) and Windows(PC)。