The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL screen minimise/maximise issue
chrishr

I have a minimise/maximise bug in my SDL application that has been driving me nuts! When I minimise the screen and then maximise it again the rendering freezes (ie doesn't refresh any more). If I re-size the screen the rendering refreshes again. The problem DOESN'T occur when I go from minimised to re-sized, only from minimised to maximised. I have provided a simple code example below which is supposed to make the screen flash through varying shades of grey. When you minimise and maximise you'll see it freezes...

I'm currently running SDL2.0 v 2.0.3 on Windows 10 machine (experienced the same problem running on previous Windows 7 machine).

Would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

//FLASHING SCREEN CODE
//demonstrates screen freeze when you minimise then maximise the screen....

#include "SDL.h"
#include "SDL_image.h"

using namespace std;

int main( int argc, char* args[] )
{
//Initialise SDL2, declare Window + Renderer
SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO | SDL_INIT_AUDIO ); //Initialize SDL for video and audio
SDL_Window* pWindow = NULL;
SDL_Renderer* pRenderer = NULL;
pWindow = SDL_CreateWindow("Minimise Maximise Test", 50, 50, 1200, 600, SDL_WINDOW_RESIZABLE | SDL_WINDOW_MAXIMIZED);
pRenderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(pWindow, -1, SDL_RENDERER_TARGETTEXTURE);
SDL_Color screenColour = {0, 0, 0}; //Screen colour which is going to change

//SDL_SetHint(SDL_HINT_RENDER_SCALE_QUALITY, "linear"); // make the scaled rendering look smoother.
//SDL_RenderSetLogicalSize(pRenderer, WINDOW_WIDTH, WINDOW_HEIGHT);

//SDL event for detecting X-out (quit)
SDL_Event event;
bool quit = false;

//Loop
while( quit == false ) //While SDL has not been X'ed out
{
////Handle quit
if (SDL_PollEvent(&event) != 0)
{
if(event.type == SDL_QUIT) quit = true; //Press X-out to quit (but not visible on fullscreen)
}

//Make screen flash by changing its colour
screenColour.r++;
screenColour.g++;
screenColour.b++;

//Render the screen
SDL_SetRenderDrawColor(pRenderer, screenColour.r, screenColour.g, screenColour.b, 255);
SDL_RenderFillRect(pRenderer, NULL);
SDL_RenderPresent(pRenderer); //like SDL_flip

}

//Shutdown
SDL_DestroyRenderer(pRenderer);
SDL_DestroyWindow(pWindow);
SDL_Quit();
return 0;
}
chrishr

Fixed by upgrading to SDL2 v 2.0.4. This was a bug in previous SDL2 versions (I had been using 2.0.3....). After re-linking your project don't forget to copy new SDL2.dll into your project directory (like I did) or it won't work!