The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Geeonx GUI library for LINUX and SDL 1.2
Nik

Hello

the Geeonx GUI-library and the corresponding interface creator Geeonx Creator can now be downloaded at www.geeonx.org.

The library provides window management, drawing and update of all GUI-elements like windows,
pulldown-menus, icons, inputforms and buttons of an application.

Currently the library and the Creator are available for LINUX x86 32 bit und x86 64 bit.

Kind regards

Nik
actsl

Good work, nice to see that people make widget toolkits.

Sorry, i have not installed or tried that. Just trying to find out more.

The license is said to be Apache license, but there seems to be no source code of the library anywhere.

Works only in Linux and SDL 1.2 as i understand, why SDL 1.2, is it using some old libraries or such, that don't support SDL 2?

There is not much documentation, from the ReadMe i read that it implements windows, buttons and icons. From what you wrote i also read "import forms", so i assume there are also some entry boxes. No scrollbars, text boxes (with dynamically sized arrays), combo boxes, progress bars? That's too minimal i think, there are some things necessary for most of the common user interfaces.

Is it an immediate GUI or retained GUI? By seeing the example it seems to me that it is a some type of retained GUI.

There is also another very minimal widget toolkit for SDL, KiWi, but it too doesn't have text boxes and combo boxes, and it's also restricted in that it's tile-based. But at that it is almost twice bigger than mine, mine is 2400 lines, that one has 5600 lines of code as much as i remember.

But at that, i don't say that widget toolkits smaller than mine are not necessary. These things, they don't compete, there are different categories, most minimal, small, advanced, depending on what one may need. And the others who develop widget toolkits, we may need each other one day. Keep up the good work!
Geeonx GUI library for LINUX and SDL 1.2
Leonardo

Quote:
There is also another very minimal widget toolkit for SDL, KiWi, but it too doesn't have text boxes and combo boxes, and it's also restricted in that it's tile-based. But at that it is almost twice bigger than mine, mine is 2400 lines, that one has 5600 lines of code as much as i remember.

In my defense, albeit larger, KiWi does appear to be more flexible than KISS, but I don't want to hijack this thread in an argument about tileset being restricted or, imho, quite the opposite.

For the OP, do you have plans to support widget rendering other than your shaders? I guess the question I want to ask is, how do you theme Geeonx?

Leonardo
Nik

Hello together

First of all you can find a quick guide to program Geeonx applications at

http://www.geeonx.org/geeonx_create.pdf

@ actsl:

- The Geeonx library and the tool Geeonx Creator are subject to a proprietary license.

- Geeonx is based on SDL 1.2 because of the great framebuffer support. By using the framebuffer Geeonx applications can run without a X-Server. This is important for embedded systems.

- Geeonx provides input windows with text editing functionality.

@ Leonardo:

- You can design every button by yourself. You can use pictures as buttons.

Nik
actsl

Nik wrote:
- Geeonx is based on SDL 1.2 because of the great framebuffer support. By using the framebuffer Geeonx applications can run without a X-Server. This is important for embedded systems.

Yeah, someone suggested using my widget toolkit for embedded systems, in some russian forum. It is only for SDL2, but it can be easily modified to use whatever graphics. But someone else said it's not good, it doesn't implement a separate loop for GUI. They don't seem to have an idea of an immediate GUI, and they likely want to use some GTK-like retained GUI for embedded systems, this looks like crazy. In embedded systems i mean, where every processor cycle matters.