The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL 2.0.4 application window does not show up
FMS

Hey there!

Since switching to SDL 2.0.4 I have a strange problem on my Windows 7 machine: the application-window does not show up at all but the program is otherwise running normally. Here's a stripped-down example:

Code:

#include <iostream>
#include "SDL.h"

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
  SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);
  SDL_Window *app_window = SDL_CreateWindow("SDL2-window",
         SDL_WINDOWPOS_UNDEFINED, SDL_WINDOWPOS_UNDEFINED, 800, 600,
                                                 SDL_WINDOW_RESIZABLE
  //                                           | SDL_WINDOW_MINIMIZED //!hack!
                                                                     );

if(app_window == NULL){
    std::cout << "error: SDL_CreateWindow failed!" << std::endl;
    return 1;
  }
  SDL_Renderer *renderer = SDL_CreateRenderer(app_window, -1,
                       SDL_RENDERER_ACCELERATED | SDL_RENDERER_PRESENTVSYNC);
  //SDL_RestoreWindow(app_window); //!hack!
  SDL_RenderPresent(renderer);

SDL_Delay(5000);

SDL_DestroyRenderer(renderer);
  SDL_DestroyWindow(app_window);
  SDL_Quit();
  return 0;
}

If I uncomment the two lines with //!hack! at the end then the window does show up (but it warps in like you would expect from a window being restored from minimized state, which is not what I want). In rare cases the window does not show up even with the SDL_WINDOW_MINIMIZED / SDL_RestoreWindow hack. Then I need to restart the application until it does show up...

Creating the window with SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP does work normally and the window can then be switched to window-mode and is still displayed just fine.

I am using "g++ -Wall -o test test.cc -Isdl/sdl2/include -Lsdl/sdl2/lib -lmingw32 -lSDL2main -lSDL2 -mwindows" to compile my program with mingw32 using the "i686-w64-mingw32" branch of the mingw-development-libraries (SDL2-devel-2.0.4-mingw.tar.gz).

With former versions of SDL2 I did not have this issue. Also on Linux this is not a problem. I currently do not have a Windows 8 or Windows 10 machine for testing this but on Windows 7 and Vista the problem does occur. Am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FMS

ok, sorry for having bothered you all with this. It's not really a SDL problem (although SDL behaves strangely here). It is a problem with my editor Notepad++ and its console plugin NppExec. If you have the same problem or are interested in why I think SDL behaves strangely in this respect read on.

If I compile my program and run it from the console in Notepad++, NppExec calls "CreateProcess" like so:

Code:

PROCESS_INFORMATION pi;
ZeroMemory(&pi, sizeof(pi));
STARTUPINFO si;
ZeroMemory(&si, sizeof(si));
si.cb = sizeof(si);
si.dwFlags = STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW | STARTF_USESTDHANDLES;
si.wShowWindow = SW_HIDE;
si.hStdInput = m_hStdInReadPipe;
si.hStdOutput = m_hStdOutWritePipe;
si.hStdError = m_hStdOutWritePipe;
CreateProcess(NULL,                     //_In_opt_    LPCTSTR               lpApplicationName,
              cmd_str,                  //_Inout_opt_ LPTSTR                lpCommandLine,
              NULL,                     //_In_opt_    LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpProcessAttributes,
              NULL,                     //_In_opt_    LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpThreadAttributes,
              true,                     //_In_        BOOL                  bInheritHandles,
              CREATE_NEW_PROCESS_GROUP, //_In_        DWORD                 dwCreationFlags,
              NULL,                     //_In_opt_    LPVOID                lpEnvironment,
              NULL,                     //_In_opt_    LPCTSTR               lpCurrentDirectory,
              &si,                      //_In_        LPSTARTUPINFO         lpStartupInfo,
              &pi);                     //_Out_       LPPROCESS_INFORMATION lpProcessInformation

This makes the application window hidden on startup. (I wonder why it did not do so for older versions of SDL2...) What I consider strange is that calling "SDL_ShowWindow" in my SDL-application does not show the window. Probably SDL thinks the window is currently shown, because if I call "SDL_HideWindow" and then "SDL_ShowWindow" directly afterwards the window is actually made visible. Is this a bug in SDL? Shouldn't SDL realize the state of the window on startup?

Anyways, this is a minor issue, sorry if you feel like I have wasted your time.
Best, FMS