The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Hardware rendering / OpenGL ES on Android?
Lemonhead

What am I missing here? I can't get hardware rendering to work in Android. That is, SDL_CreateWindow() with SDL_RENDERER_ACCELERATED always fails, saying hardware rendering isn't supported. I can revert to software rendering instead, so at least it's working, but then the game runs extremely slowly (only 1 or 2 fps instead of 60).

Everything's fine on the Linux version under Ubuntu. Hardware acceleration performs at 60 fps with almost 0 CPU load. (And if I try software instead, it's also too slow to play.)

I've tested on these devices: an old HTC phone (Android 4.0.4) and two different 7" tablets, an LG G Pad 7 and generic unknown brand (both Android 4.4.2). I'm pretty sure the tablets support OpenGL ES 2.0 at least.

I'm targeting Android-18 right now but also tried 15 and 21 at times.

Thanks!
Lemonhead

This seems kind of strange, but when I use SDL_GetRenderDriverInfo() on either Linux or Android, they both show me 3 different OpenGL drivers. Yet SDL_RENDERER_ACCELERATED is always refused on Android.
Lemonhead

I'm trying to find some way to get my game that I've put so many hundreds (or thousands?) of hours into.

Isn't there anyone here who can help? Even if it's just a suggestion like re-implement directly in OpenGL ES or something. If that's what I have to do, then that's what I have to do. Or is there some other engine maybe? I just don't want to go in another wrong direction. I've written this in Javascript, rewritten in JS, then again in C++.

I just don't know why SDL works fine for other games like Hatched! and not mine, even on my own devices. There must be something I'm doing wrong.

(At least if I have this game, I'll have something to show to try to get a job. Most of my last 2 jobs were Flash and iPhone apps under a strict NDA so whenever I tell that to employers, they probably just assume I'm lying.)
Lemonhead

*rewritten in Java I meant.