The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL2-Visual Studio 2013-Compiled EXE Does Not Run? Help!
JeZ-l-Lee

Hi,

I recently installed a "Genuine" copy of Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit onto my development desktop
and have also installed Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2013 too.

I got my existing SDL2 game to build on Visual Studio 13 but it does not run and shows error(below screenshot).
Any one know what I am doing wrong?
I never used Visual Studio and SDL2 together before.

Thanks

Justin Coleman

Looks like it's failing to load a DLL somewhere. Maybe this will help figure out which one:
http://www.sevenforums.com/software/160901-application-unable-start.html

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 6:51 PM, JeZ-l-Lee wrote:
Quote:

Hi,

I recently installed a "Genuine" copy of Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit onto my development desktop
and have also installed Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2013 too.

I got my existing SDL2 game to build on Visual Studio 13 but it does not run and shows error(below screenshot).
Any one know what I am doing wrong?
I never used Visual Studio and SDL2 together before.

Thanks

JeZxLee
JessePalser <AT> GMail <DOT> com
16BitSoft Inc.
Video Game Design Studio
www.16BitSoft.com

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

MrTAToad

The most obvious thing to check would be to make sure that the DLLs are the correct version for the executable - so if your executable is 32-bit, make sure the SDL2 DLL is 32-bit.

By the look of things, there seem to be 3 DLL's missing :

libFLAC-8, libTIFF-5 and zlib1, which may also be the cause
JeZ-l-Lee

Hi,

I got it to run now, but it crashes now?

Here is debug info:
Code:
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\New-SDL2.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\SDL2_image.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\SDL2_mixer.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\SDL2_ttf.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\SDL2.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp120.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr120.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\libfreetype-6.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmmbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\zlib1.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\combase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\clbcatq.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dsound.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\powrprof.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dinput8.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\hid.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wintrust.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\crypt32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msasn1.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntmarta.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\XInput1_4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d9.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\aticfx32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiu9pag.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiu9pag.dll'
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiu9pag.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdag.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdva.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\libmodplug-1.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\libvorbisfile-3.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\libvorbis-0.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\libogg-0.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MMDevAPI.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\AudioSes.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wdmaud.drv'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ksuser.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\avrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msacm32.drv'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msacm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\midimap.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0x7cc has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xafc has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SHCore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\profapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0xa48 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x1140 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x16f8 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x650 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\libmodplug-1.dll'
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\libogg-0.dll'
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\libvorbis-0.dll'
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\libvorbisfile-3.dll'
The thread 0xe8c has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x9d4 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x1118 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x4e8 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xbe4 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdva.dll'
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdag.dll'
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiu9pag.dll'
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\aticfx32.dll'
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3d9.dll'
The thread 0xfac has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\XInput1_4.dll'
The thread 0x1528 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xb18 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x115c has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x1698 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xf18 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x16d8 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[4992] New-SDL2.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Any ideas why it's crashing now?
Thanks!
MrTAToad

Show me the code!
Sparks

JeZ-l-Lee wrote:
Hi,

Here is debug info:
Code:
'New-SDL2.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\JeZxLee\Desktop\New-SDL2\Release\New-SDL2.exe'. Symbols loaded.

Thanks!

That isn't debug info, that is practically useless.
You need to run the program within MSVC, then, when it crashes, it will tell you why.
If you can't figure it out, then post the stack trace of the crash.
Jonny D

Also, if it is exiting with a return value of 0, then it's probably not a crash at all.  Somewhere in the program, it is deciding to return 0 from main() for whatever reason.

Jonny D

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Sparks wrote:
Quote:

JeZ-l-Lee wrote:

Hi,

Here is debug info:

Code:

Thanks!

That isn't debug info, that is practically useless.
You need to run the program within MSVC, then, when it crashes, it will tell you why.
If you can't figure it out, then post the stack trace of the crash.

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org