The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL PollInput stops working for keyboard input in Ubuntu
Water

An engine a lot of Doom players use based on SDL is ZDoom. A problem that we've been running into is that SDL_PollInput suddenly stops returning any input for an unknown reason. This seemed to start happening in Ubuntu 14.04. The version ZDoom uses is 1.2.15. When the lockup happens, keyboard input is completely lost from SDL_PollInput (it always returns zero from the function that calls it) and the only way to exit the program is to forcefully terminate it from tty... which then messes up the resolution and likely leads to a restart if you play at a non-native resolution.

I attempted to debug it, and from the ZDoom code was able to find that the while loop on SDL_PollInput resulted in events from the keyboard not being available at all after it locks up -- however, mouse input is still able to be read.
What is interesting is another Doom port that is separate from ZDoom also uses SDL 1.2.15 and is fine. No lockups occur there.

Therefore: How can I try to figure out what is going on? Is this most likely some code from ZDoom corrupting SDL somehow possibly by leaky pointers? Or is there known driver issues with Ubuntu that could be causing this? Is there any way I could debug it further? I don't have a problem trying to compile SDL on its own and trying to work through why code is not being accepted, though I'd probably need a guide on how to go about it/where to look. I've compiled lots of things on Linux before so I should be able to do most instructions without too much trouble.

Also: Should this possibly go on the bug tracker? I don't know if it should be ruled out here first before making a ticket.
SDL PollInput stops working for keyboard input in Ubuntu
Jeffrey Carpenter

Hi,

As to where to begin looking (assuming these files exist on SDL1 branch)... perhaps SDL_events.c would be where I'd start looking. src/video/SDL_video.c their implementation-specific friends (i.e.: cocoa under video/cocoa) are where the platform's higher-level codebase starts, and SDL_keyboard.c for some of the keyboard implementation details.

In all honesty, though, I'm *guessing* that ZDoom is mishandling the event loop somewhere down the line for keyboard input. Hard to say without knowing intimate details.

I haven't used SDL1 in quite some time, but I can't say I've ever had the issue of losing keyboard input, per se...

Cheers,
Jeffrey Carpenter

On 2014/10/ 07, at 18:11, Water wrote:

Quote:
An engine a lot of Doom players use based on SDL is ZDoom. A problem that we've been running into is that SDL_PollInput suddenly stops returning any input for an unknown reason. This seemed to start happening in Ubuntu 14.04. The version ZDoom uses is 1.2.15. When the lockup happens, keyboard input is completely lost from SDL_PollInput (it always returns zero from the function that calls it) and the only way to exit the program is to forcefully terminate it from tty... which then messes up the resolution and likely leads to a restart if you play at a non-native resolution.

I attempted to debug it, and from the ZDoom code was able to find that the while loop on SDL_PollInput resulted in events from the keyboard not being available at all after it locks up -- however, mouse input is still able to be read.
What is interesting is another Doom port that is separate from ZDoom also uses SDL 1.2.15 and is fine. No lockups occur there.

Therefore: How can I try to figure out what is going on? Is this most likely some code from ZDoom corrupting SDL somehow possibly by leaky pointers? Or is there known driver issues with Ubuntu that could be causing this? Is there any way I could debug it further? I don't have a problem trying to compile SDL on its own and trying to work through why code is not being accepted, though I'd probably need a guide on how to go about it/where to look. I've compiled lots of things on Linux before so I should be able to do most instructions without too much trouble.

Also: Should this possibly go on the bug tracker? I don't know if it should be ruled out here first before making a ticket.

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

Re: SDL PollInput stops working for keyboard input in Ubuntu
edward-san

Hi, I'm one of the contributors to the mentioned project, and I'd like to provide more information:

the whole zdoom code is available here. The SDL involved part is in this file.

The possible problematic code is in I_GetEvent, in MessagePump or in I_CheckGUICapture. Not sure about them.

Jeffrey Carpenter wrote:
Hi,

As to where to begin looking (assuming these files exist on SDL1 branch)... perhaps SDL_events.c would be where I'd start looking. src/video/SDL_video.c their implementation-specific friends (i.e.: cocoa under video/cocoa) are where the platform's higher-level codebase starts, and SDL_keyboard.c for some of the keyboard implementation details.

In all honesty, though, I'm *guessing* that ZDoom is mishandling the event loop somewhere down the line for keyboard input. Hard to say without knowing intimate details.

I haven't used SDL1 in quite some time, but I can't say I've ever had the issue of losing keyboard input, per se...

Cheers,
Jeffrey Carpenter

On 2014/10/ 07, at 18:11, Water wrote:

Quote:

edward-san

It seems that commenting both SDL_EnableUnicode calls in the same file resolves the problem for me and Water.
edward-san

edward-san wrote:
It seems that commenting both SDL_EnableUnicode calls in the same file resolves the problem for me and Water.

and I was wrong, because the 'console' doesn't work anymore if I comment both those calls. Apparently, I need to omit just 'SDL_EnableUNICODE (0)' to make things work again and fix the problem.