The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
SDL2 Invalid renderer on OSX - possible bug?
Keyframe

Hi,

I made a stackoverflow question here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25003676/sdl2-invalid-renderer-on-sdl-getwindowsurface-and-or-sdl-createrenderer-on-osx

Looks like it might be a bug. I have no idea how to approach debugging this though, so any help would mean a lot.
Keyframe

Forgot to add (I can't edit my post) that I have tried with SDL-2.0.3-9008 also. Same thing, only difference is that I don't get the 'invalid renderer' message or any other message at all. Black surface again, it appears only if I double the SDL_UpdateWindowSurface(window);
Keyframe

Tried with SDL_SetHint and SDL_SetHintWithPriority for SDL_HINT_FRAMEBUFFER_ACCELERATION and SDL_HINT_RENDER_DRIVER with SDL_HINT_OVERRIDE in all combinations. Still nothing. Judging by that other stackoverflow question which rises similar issue, it might be contained to Intel HD graphics. I don't have access to other Intel HD machine to test it out though.
SDL2 Invalid renderer on OSX - possible bug?
Jeffrey Carpenter

Hi,

Could you be more specific with what you are troubleshooting / experiencing? I ask because I have noticed mysterious "invalid renderer" err messages when I enable SDL's debug logs from within my engine that uses SDL2 at its core.

The odd thing is, although I receive the messages, I have no application-level issues arise from it (that I'm aware of, anyway!) -- things run as intended. The err message happens at the time of renderer initialization.

I figured that perhaps I'm doing something out-of-order but somehow self-correcting via another call elsewhere (I'm abstracting SDL2 calls via C++ interface), but in any regard, I haven't spent much time at all on this issue, but your comment did raise an eyebrow from me, wondering if we may be experiencing related issues.

(Perhaps I should re-run the tests I did with SDL2 debug logging enabled on my Windows dev system and see if I get the same messages)...

P.S. I'm on a MacBook Air mid 2011 model (Intel HD Graphics 3000 chipset).

Cheers,
Jeffrey Carpenter

On 2014/08/ 03, at 14:29, Keyframe wrote:

Quote:
Tried with SDL_SetHint and SDL_SetHintWithPriority for SDL_HINT_FRAMEBUFFER_ACCELERATION and SDL_HINT_RENDER_DRIVER with SDL_HINT_OVERRIDE in all combinations. Still nothing. Judging by that other stackoverflow question which rises similar issue, it might be contained to Intel HD graphics. I don't have access to other Intel HD machine to test it out though.

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org

http://lists.libsdl.org/listinfo.cgi/sdl-libsdl.org