The SDL forums have moved to discourse.libsdl.org.
This is just a read-only archive of the previous forums, to keep old links working.

SDL Forum Index
SDL
Simple Directmedia Layer Forums
Dev c++ / C++/ SDL_image/ linker problem ?
coderdrawerpainter

Hello all who read this.

I have some code framework.
I have linked the SDL main libary with no problem, How ever I cannot seem to link the SDL_image libary with dev c++ linker.

using linker flag: -lSDL_image

and all SDL_image .dlls are in the same directory as my dev c++ project along with the SDL main .dll.
and Dev c++ derectories are pointing to SDL image includes and libs/x86 folder. What I get when I run this bad boy is just a flicker of the program window and then it closes.

If your in the same boat as I am or have been all through this before please post.
Thanks.

(here is what i have and it all compiles fine)

Code:

#include <SDL/SDL.h>
#include <SDL/SDL_image.h>

int main( int argc, char* args[] )
{

bool running = true ;
    //Define constant variables, such as screen dimensions, and bpp.
    const int screen_width = 640;
    const int screen_height = 480;
    const int screen_bpp = 32;       

//Define all surfaces
    SDL_Surface* screen = NULL;
    SDL_Surface* image = NULL;

// define condition if SDL fails to initialise
        if(SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING) == -1)
        {
           running = false ;
        }

// defined pointer too computer graphics card video RAM (hardware accelarated) for screen dimensions to be drawn
                screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(screen_width, screen_height, screen_bpp, SDL_HWSURFACE) ;
                // windows only (maybe not my android)
                SDL_WM_SetCaption("Game", NULL) ;

// define condition if screen has not been passed set values
                                    if(screen == NULL)
                                    {
                                    running = false ;
                                    }             

SDL_Event occur ;

image = SDL_LoadBMP("test.bmp");                 
                                                SDL_Rect offset ;
                                                offset.x = 50,offset.y = 50 ;   

// modifies the alpha transparency of SDL_Surface images
                                               SDL_SetAlpha(image,SDL_SRCALPHA,80) ;     

// pointer to array that stores key presses each variable in the array will respon to a key
                                                Uint8 *keystates = SDL_GetKeyState(NULL) ;

// iffantley refreshing and filling the screen with a black rectangle , then flips to bring to the front on z index                               
                                                    while(running)
                                                    {                                                                 
                                                          // SDL listens to own SDL and user key events, if events do occur store at address memory location, quit if quit events occurs
                                                          SDL_PollEvent(&occur) ;
                                                          if(occur.type == SDL_QUIT)
                                                          {
                                                                        running = false ;
                                                          }

// test key address of pointer array keystates, SDL_Event occur lsitening for keyboard keypresses
                                                          if(keystates[SDLK_w])
                                                          {
                                                                               offset.y -=1 ;
                                                          }
                                                            if(keystates[SDLK_a])
                                                          {
                                                                               offset.x -=1 ;
                                                          }
                                                            if(keystates[SDLK_s])
                                                          {
                                                                               offset.y +=1 ;
                                                          }
                                                            if(keystates[SDLK_d])
                                                          {
                                                                               offset.x +=1 ;
                                                          }

SDL_FillRect(screen, NULL, 0) ; 

// drawing
                                                          SDL_BlitSurface(image, NULL, screen, &offset) ;
                                                          SDL_Flip(screen) ;
                                                    }

SDL_Quit();

return 0;   
}